Computer Help !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Help !!!!

Ive got an old HP computer running Windows XP home, which my son uses Its been randomly shutting down and rebooting, till eventually something screwed up and it wouldnt boot to Windows. I did a recovery from the windows partition ( full format , destructive type ) and managed to get it all going again, but it still does the random , shutdown, reboot thing. Im thinking that this points to a dodgy power supply , but dont really know, any better ideas anyone ? Fans are running OK and temperature seems OK inside the box.

Bogus
    Сви можемо

That will be windows then

Seriously though, have you been inside it recently? I used to have a PC that did that and, bizarrely, the cause was a slightly bent leg on the CMOS that lifted as it warmed up and crashed it. Probably not that, but I got to tell a strange story.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
      That will be windows then

Seriously though, have you been inside it recently? I used to have a PC that did that and, bizarrely, the cause was a slightly bent leg on the CMOS that lifted as it warmed up and crashed it. Probably not that, but I got to tell a strange story.
      I havent been inside it in a long time, but it looks like thats about to change

bogus
      Сви можемо

Comment

Control panel, system, advanced tab, go to bottom start up and recovery, then press settings tab, half way down system failure, then untick automatic restart

Comment

Originally posted by Retribution View Post
          Control panel, system, advanced tab, go to bottom start up and recovery, then press settings tab, half way down system failure, then untick automatic restart

so it will fail but just not restart?
          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Ive done as Retribution suggested and so far so good

Bogus
            Сви можемо

Comment

What? Why did they put that option in as a default? Did they sit in a meeting and say 'we think it would be a good idea if it just shut down sometimes'?

Comment

Working...
              X