Overheating cause?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating cause?

Do you think this might be the cause of my overheating engine?

The sore knuckles (damn you Mr Toyota and your tiny Japanese hands!!!) are made up by the warm glow of the fact that this was caused by driving straight through *twice* a big water splash that several other vehicles had failed to negotiate - including a Disco that ripped half of its bumper off in the process.

It's currently soaking in the bath. Gave myself a bit of a heart-attack whilst filling the bath. Just as the water level covered the radiator - but not any of the inlets/outlets I glanced into the lower outlet and noticed it was full of water. Bugger I thinks, I've managed to puncture it whilst pulling it out. Then I noticed that the rad-cap hole was under water and of course the cap is off. *blonde moment*.

Also, what's everyone's opinions on the lower fan shroud - keep or ditch? To me it looks like it's only there to hold the mud on the radiator longer.
    Attached Files
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Wow, incredible..
    But I´m not sure if that could be the cause of your overheating
    Last edited by Toyo; 7 April 2008, 20:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie View Post
      Also, what's everyone's opinions on the lower fan shroud - keep or ditch? To me it looks like it's only there to hold the mud on the radiator longer.
      What's a fan shroud? Haven't had one fitted for a long time - it just makes cleaning more awkward - and who needs fingers anyway?
      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Do you think this might be the cause of my overheating engine?

The sore knuckles (damn you Mr Toyota and your tiny Japanese hands!!!) are made up by the warm glow of the fact that this was caused by driving straight through *twice* a big water splash that several other vehicles had failed to negotiate - including a Disco that ripped half of its bumper off in the process.

It's currently soaking in the bath. Gave myself a bit of a heart-attack whilst filling the bath. Just as the water level covered the radiator - but not any of the inlets/outlets I glanced into the lower outlet and noticed it was full of water. Bugger I thinks, I've managed to puncture it whilst pulling it out. Then I noticed that the rad-cap hole was under water and of course the cap is off. *blonde moment*.

I would say that its a safe bet that it has help the over heating mate, that is very caked up..
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

isn't that the first thing everyine dows after off roading??... clean rad, lights and number plate??

maybe windows if you're feeling flash!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Like Gamedawn said, I've left ours off. Mostly cause I didn't want to move the rad doing the bodylift.

I don't think the extra cooling the complete shroud delivers really equals the effort to clean the rad out in the car in the big scheme of things.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

that looks like potters clay!

shroud off, easier access for cleaning.
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm

that's a familiar sight

There's another name for rad - Ar5e twitch switch !! yep your bum twitchs the moment the gauge moves
                Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

i had a similar problem ended up with a new rad as all the fins got removed at the jet wash!!! what is the best way to clean a rad in this state??

Comment

soak in hot water and use a stiff brush to gently remove muck.
                    Alan

Comment

Originally posted by hiroler View Post
                      i had a similar problem ended up with a new rad as all the fins got removed at the jet wash!!! what is the best way to clean a rad in this state??
                      Luckily all the fins seem to be in pretty good order, and nice and firm. I'm leaving it for an overnight soak, then I'll jet-wash it tomorrow on a low jet setting.

The only other problem I have now is the air-con radiator. It's just as full up, but I don't really want to remove it. I'll just have to jet wash it in place I guess.
                      Paul </Slugsie>
                      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Luckily all the fins seem to be in pretty good order, and nice and firm. I'm leaving it for an overnight soak, then I'll jet-wash it tomorrow on a low jet setting.

The only other problem I have now is the air-con radiator. It's just as full up, but I don't really want to remove it. I'll just have to jet wash it in place I guess.
                        one of those wee kitchen steam cleaners would be handy for that, low pressure high temp.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penguin-HT88...7607187&sr=1-5
                        Last edited by KERRSURF; 7 April 2008, 23:28.
                        Alan

Comment

Working...
                        X