Louis Theroux on hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louis Theroux on hunting

Really good prog. Must say I knew where the South Africans were coming from, though hunting animals which have been 'presented' for you 30 yards away seems a bit lame.

Quite fancy a go at the big game though. Tracking Ibex through the bush and picking one off with a high power crossbow.

Mmmmm! Steak on the BBQ tonight!

Louis was a bit of a girl though, but in the end kind of admitted he felt a bit of a fraud in that he'd eat the meat but couldn't kill the animal.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

It's rotten to have em lined up for shooting but I have no problem with proper hunting in any form.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Excellent hunting video

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...&videoid=67870
      Brian

Comment

I'm feelin hungry now...

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
        Lisa: No.
        Homer: Ham?
        Lisa: No.
        Homer: Pork chops?
        Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
        Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

Comment

just watched the silly bitch killing the Impala.

"I feel bad blah blah blah"

so why did you kill it you tool?

It was like going to a zoo to shoot animals, just not right.
          food and water provided for the animals and guess where the shooting hide is?

thats right, about 40 ft from the water, jeez thats lame....

it was close enough that she killed it with a crossbow ffs!
          Alan

Comment

hehe u got to love the Simpsons.

anyway I just watched the hunting prog too and I hav to say if they where really running wild and then be hunted on the farm fair enough but putting food right in front off the booth takes the whole point of tracking and the thrill away if u ask me

It was a very good program tho I hav to say..
            One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Louis don't do it!

it's feeding time at the petting zoo ffs!
              Alan

Comment

Hey, there are some pretty damn powerful crossbows around!

Ever been to BassPro in 'any redneck state'? There are at least as many crossbow choices as gun choices, and I know a guy who goes bear hunting with a crossbow. To him, it's a 'purer' form of the sport, and I can see where he's coming from.

He did say though that you need to be a good shot as you really dont wanna just p1ss the bear off!

Agree about the 'petting zoo' thing though. However, it is for a market. Fat townies who dont wanna have to track an animal. For me, a lot of the challenge and satisfaction would be in the tracking.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                  Hey, there are some pretty damn powerful crossbows around!

Ever been to BassPro in 'any redneck state'? There are at least as many crossbow choices as gun choices, and I know a guy who goes bear hunting with a crossbow. To him, it's a 'purer' form of the sport, and I can see where he's coming from.

He did say though that you need to be a good shot as you really dont wanna just p1ss the bear off!

Agree about the 'petting zoo' thing though. However, it is for a market. Fat townies who dont wanna have to track an animal. For me, a lot of the challenge and satisfaction would be in the tracking.

I suppose u are right....
                  all the people there where thick fat American town people I mean one does book recycle - ing for a living hehe
                  But I agree with u track and lay in the dust wait and shoot much more to it then and u give the animal a chance too..
                  One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Not summat I've any interest in doing but I generally agree with the opinions voiced so far - basically the animal has got to have a fighting chance.

There's a Sepo by the name of J D Jones who goes big game hunting with a single shot pistol - OK it's in .375 Holland & Holland but it's still only a single bullet from a handgun. He's dropped a charging elephant 20 ft in front of him with it - I think there's a certain amount of bottle required to stand still with a single shot when an elephant is that close and charging straight at you ......

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

I wouldn't criticise someone for stalking a deer for half a day on a cold wet scottish mountainside, or stalking hard fighting river trout etc. but to shoot critters who are lined up at a feeding trough is just wrong.
                      Alan

Comment

Lets face it, lamb, pig, cow, chicken etc etc. If you eat ANY of those in the UK, those animals have NO chance. They are born and bread to be electrocuted, slit, shot with a bolt etc.

To me, there is absolutely NO problem at all with hunting sensitively if you are going to make use of the animal.

Ever fished? I used to live on the coast of North Wales. I always had a freezer full of Mackerel, skate, dogfish, flounders, the odd bass and sea trout. The back of my boat was like a slaughterhouse some weekends! I took friends out now and then, and most were happy to get stuck in, but there were the odd ones who thought fish existed naturally in a box with Birdseye marked on it!

It'll be the same sort of person who gets their knickers in a twist when they see someone with a gun and a brace of pheasant or an armful of rabbits.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

It'll be the same sort of person who gets their knickers in a twist when they see someone with a gun and a brace of pheasant or an armful of rabbits.

And yet they'll happily feed their kids with a McCrap burger .......

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                            I wouldn't criticise someone for stalking a deer for half a day on a cold wet scottish mountainside, or stalking hard fighting river trout etc. but to shoot critters who are lined up at a feeding trough is just wrong.
                            Hard fighting river trout?

Give me 40lb line and a multiplier and they may as well be wet newspapers.

They're just food at the end of the day, and its deeply satisfying to sort your own out.

I've never done any river fishing, and only a small amount of coarse, but sea fishing of the sort I've done is just about brute strength and strength of tackle. Quite fancy big game fishing, but again, being strapped in etc is a bit gay. If you cant beat the fish on equal terms, then tough, it wins and you lose it.

Comment

Working...
                            X