2.4 rears its ugly head...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 rears its ugly head...

Just 30 days into ownership and 200 miles into france, and I am looking at oily water on the tarmac. Toyota in france confirm the head is bust and will want 2400 pounds to fix it. Unacceptable in my opinion.
    I have had to rent cars to get me to my destination, my stuff is still stranded in france, and the dealer is at the moment quite uninterested. we shall see how it pans out, but in my eyes, the fact that so many people have a problem with the 2.4, it might be worth while to see if there is anyone who can produce a stronger head, there is definitely a demand.

Sadly I am put off the Surf now, and shall be rattling around in a 1980s Polo GT for the forseeable future in Mallorca.

Had a great day in Knowsley thanks Marky, the car has many merits except this damn head trouble.

If I end up with a fixed surf I shall let you all know when it is ready for sale, along with new head and belts.

Originally posted by bdamit
    Just 30 days into ownership and 200 miles into france, and I am looking at oily water on the tarmac. Toyota in france confirm the head is bust and will want 2400 pounds to fix it. Unacceptable in my opinion.
    I have had to rent cars to get me to my destination, my stuff is still stranded in france, and the dealer is at the moment quite uninterested. we shall see how it pans out, but in my eyes, the fact that so many people have a problem with the 2.4, it might be worth while to see if there is anyone who can produce a stronger head, there is definitely a demand.

Sadly I am put off the Surf now, and shall be rattling around in a 1980s Polo GT for the forseeable future in Mallorca.

Had a great day in Knowsley thanks Marky, the car has many merits except this damn head trouble.

If I end up with a fixed surf I shall let you all know when it is ready for sale, along with new head and belts.
    Unfortunately, if it goes...you can't pick the time or place .I would certainly pursue the dealer when you have only had the car 30 days.
    However if he won't let you walk away from the deal, consider the fact that the surf, once repaired will be a hell of a car.
    The new cylinder heads available are of an improved design & if the jobs done properly somebody else will be benefiting from your misfortune.
    I can hardly imagine a worse time or place for it to go & your confidence must be shattered.
    Good luck.
    Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Felt the same when mine went, but its repaired now, fitted with the redesigned head and its going great. Once its sorted you will have a good vehicle, hope the dealer sorts you out one way or the other. £2400 is a bit strong for a new head and fitting, new head bolts etc should be around £700-£800ish + labour. Its around 10 hours labour, me and Andy did mine on my drive in 11 & 1/2 hours, no ramps etc.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

I agree the price of 2400 is high. Its a Toyota quote. The used car dealer said 1500 to fix it. I have this problem now that the dealer is in Manchester, the car is in the middle of france and I am in Mallorca!
        I know what my statutory rights say: I could just leave the car in France and claim against the dealer. Then its his problem to sort out. Either way my confidence is damaged in this car, and I think for my circumstances it is best for me to use 'beaters' in Spain for the time being. so one way or another it is going. Beautiful 2 door too!

Comment

Ben sorry to hear you bad news mate, hope things work out. where in france is the surf now mate, we have a fellow surf owner in france who maybe able to help store it for you
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
            Ben sorry to hear you bad news mate, hope things work out. where in france is the surf now mate, we have a fellow surf owner in france who maybe able to help store it for you
            If he's going to get shot of it ,the best thing is to have as little to do with it as possible & leave it all to the dealer.
            I know how hard I found it sorting mine out 120 miles away..just imagine being stranded in another country.
            Think how hard it would be to take it back if any fault arose on the repair etc.
            Don't like to lose a surf owner ,but even I'd wash my hands of it.
            Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Hi Marky

The car is at 'Les Garages Bachelet' near Laon, Chambry. They are a Toyota main dealer for the area. Its a real bummer this has happened but I'm a positive thinking fella...

If this friend is close by that would be a great help, but I'm probably not going to move the car until I know exactly where I stand with the dealer. <won't mention the dealer's name yet for my own reasons>

Keep seeing surfs here in Mallorca. Very annoying..none of them are as nice as mine, except for the fact they all seem to be moving hahaha.

ttfn

Comment

Originally posted by bdamit
                Hi Marky

The car is at 'Les Garages Bachelet' near Laon, Chambry. They are a Toyota main dealer for the area. Its a real bummer this has happened but I'm a positive thinking fella...

If this friend is close by that would be a great help, but I'm probably not going to move the car until I know exactly where I stand with the dealer. <won't mention the dealer's name yet for my own reasons>

Keep seeing surfs here in Mallorca. Very annoying..none of them are as nice as mine, except for the fact they all seem to be moving hahaha.

ttfn
                I'd Rather Have A 4" Lift Than A 4" Extension !!!

Comment

Hi,
                  Really sorry to read about the head problem if you can get it back to the uk Steve at Engine Co. Stockport can replace the head with a better quality one and at a much more reasonable price. I can only imagine how you must be feeling but even if the dealer that you bought it off wont pay up I feel sure you could claim back all your cost & extra cost for recovery etc etc well worth getting legal advice when you get back home even if that cost.

Andy.
                  I'd Rather Have A 4" Lift Than A 4" Extension !!!

Comment

bdamit, really sorry to hear of your problems.

I don't want to cash in on your misfortune but if you can't get the surf back to england I may be interested in buying then transporting and fixing at my own cost. Even if you do get back I may well be interested.

Good luck and get in touch if I can help.

James

Comment

BEN have you got European Breakdown cover, if so use it to get the surf home. if not join then use it, its got to be worth it mate
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                        BEN have you got European Breakdown cover, if so use it to get the surf home. if not join then use it, its got to be worth it mate
                        good idea marky
                        [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                        [size=5][/size]
                        [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Working...
                        X