Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st post! Duh question?

Hi Guys

After research I have decided that hisurf/4runner is the 4x4 for me. Gen usage, off road gun bus and hauling the camping and fishing kit around.

For my opening gambit the question is " has anyone got a winch fitted to their truck?" If it sounds stupid I appolgise, only I've not seen a pciture of a truck with one on is their some technical reason why not.

Originally posted by Jamie Mackenzie View Post
    Hi Guys

After research I have decided that hisurf/4runner is the 4x4 for me. Gen usage, off road gun bus and hauling the camping and fishing kit around.

For my opening gambit the question is " has anyone got a winch fitted to their truck?" If it sounds stupid I appolgise, only I've not seen a pciture of a truck with one on is their some technical reason why not.

Hi mate and welcome, and congratulations on your choice of 4x4....some of the trucks here have got winches, it is more of a financial choice than a technical one - I'm getting a mount made for mine, then it will be on!
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Cheers

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
      Hi mate and welcome, and congratulations on your choice of 4x4....some of the trucks here have got winches, it is more of a financial choice than a technical one - I'm getting a mount made for mine, then it will be on!
      thanks for the welcome, didn't think I was going ga-ga swear I saw one on a truck in Aus a few years ago, they seem to use the vehicle a lot out there which is one of the reasons I went for the 4runner.

Comment

You should put your location (bit more granularity) and some details on your 4Runner on the site too, I think UK may be a bit vague - helps when organising trips and so on!
        Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Quite a few have winches ..........and much needed when i anm playing

Oh and welcome to the nuthouse .......Just shoot the squirrel
          ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazzard View Post
            Quite a few have winches ..........and much needed when i anm playing

Oh and welcome to the nuthouse .......Just shoot the squirrel
            Welcome Jamie to the nuthouse, come on in and make yourself at home.

I see the great untrained wind machine has said hello - don't worry about him, he's mostly harmless although he has a knack of endangering surfs

Trev
            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

i have a front mounted winch it's been used a few times but i have now change my truck so i need to refit it to the new one

heres a few pics

Comment

cheers

Originally posted by sledge View Post
                i have a front mounted winch it's been used a few times but i have now change my truck so i need to refit it to the new one
                Thanks that will be the set up I'm looking for. Going for a trawl around the parts sections to look for the other bits and pieces I will want to fit.

Comment

Hi Jamie and welcome to the forum.

What part of Brum are you in, maybe's we could get together for a natter sometime.

Comment

Isn't a winch a bit more than you'll need for fishing? Wont a decent multiplier do?

Planning on getting stuck a lot then are you? Mebbe just learn to spot peat bogs and save yourself some sh1tloads of money and weight?
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                      Isn't a winch a bit more than you'll need for fishing? Wont a decent multiplier do?

Planning on getting stuck a lot then are you? Mebbe just learn to spot peat bogs and save yourself some sh1tloads of money and weight?

Wise words.....

Welcome Jamie.
                      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

mines behind the nudge bar
                        Attached Files

Comment

The only reason for a winch is for Land Rover recovery, surfs don't get stuck
                          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

Isn't the guy allowed to spend his money how he likes? He's only asking.

Comment

ooooOOOOOooooohhhh!

Sorry Vince!

Yes, of course he is, I'm just suggesting think first.

So many people come on sites like this, see whats written and think, "right, I've got a 4x4, I'm gonna need huge mud tyres, a big winch etc etc". You see it all the time, newbies coming along and asking about tyres, and probably now driving up and down the M6 on MTs, wondering where their fuel is going, and why their truck handles like a pig.

Truth is, most of us would be better off with some ATs (we'd be replacing them much less frequently and our truck would have better road manners) and would use a winch maybe once in a few years, and even then could have avoided using it with some careful reading of the land. These trucks are now cheap, and the cost of adding a winch / winch bumper would likely be more than the cost of the truck itself.

I've learned a few lessons the hard way, and wasted money where I could have made better use of it elsewhere.

Yes, part of the fun is modifying our trucks, but the wisdom brought by experience will be VERY useful next time I do one.
                              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                              X