Bull bars or not!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bull bars or not!!

I'm trying to convince my other half to take off the bull bars but not getting any where I know they look good on the car but how many of you still have them on?.
    Just worried as they can cause alot of damage (people and cars)
    We have 1992 surf 2.4 diesel and love it way better than my shogun!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/cassie08100

ive still got mine on
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by darkangel
      I'm trying to convince my other half to take off the bull bars but not getting any where I know they look good on the car but how many of you still have them on?.
      Just worried as they can cause alot of damage (people and cars)
      We have 1992 surf 2.4 diesel and love it way better than my shogun!!
      I don't believe that there's any evidence of the bars causing any extra damage to people vehicles than if you hit them without.

Personally I have no bull bars/A bar on mine, but her that must be obeyed wants an A bar put on. I haven't told her, but they don't actually look that bad

Cheers, Nick
      "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nick V
        I don't believe that there's any evidence of the bars causing any extra damage to people vehicles than if you hit them without.

Personally I have no bull bars/A bar on mine, but her that must be obeyed wants an A bar put on. I haven't told her, but they don't actually look that bad

Cheers, Nick

Got them on mine and they are staying on. At the end of the day my truck weighs 2 tonne so bull bars or not if it hits you it will hurt.
        People should use crossings etc then they wouldn't get hit by cars and the bull bar debate wouldn't be an issue not that I think it is anyway.

Bring back the green cross code man, take away walkmans from kids,adults & mobile phones then they can concentrate on crossing a road instead of just walking out anywhere they feel like. Ban the use of phones near roads as well as in cars its just as bad.
        off soap box, next please
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
          Got them on mine and they are staying on. At the end of the day my truck weighs 2 tonne so bull bars or not if it hits you it will hurt.
          People should use crossings etc then they wouldn't get hit by cars and the bull bar debate wouldn't be an issue not that I think it is anyway.

Bring back the green cross code man, take away walkmans from kids,adults & mobile phones then they can concentrate on crossing a road instead of just walking out anywhere they feel like. Ban the use of phones near roads as well as in cars its just as bad.
          Too bl00dy right Nige!!
          "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

I was going to take mine off when I bought.
            Felt they were a bit over the top.

But then the whole damned truck is completely over the top

Am I going to un-peel all the stickers?
            Replace the multi-coloured mirrored windows?

Naah!

Hey Mr Bull - Out of my Way, the Bar is staying

Comment

Bring back the green cross code man !!! NOOOooooooo, He tried to chat up my missis a couple of years ago, Dave Prowse that is, fantastic claim to fame as I'm a massive Star wars fan.
              But on the bull bars, I say go for it, Just a little extra protection for the front end.

Comment

Bull Bars

Took mine off a year ago because I believe that it has been clearly shown many times that they kill pedestrians who may well have survived impact with the bonnet. I know that they should no be on the road but an accident is when something should not happen!

I believe bull bars were designed to protect the front end when driving in the bush. Sadly I have not had cause to do that. I seem to remember Elves writing to say that she was in an accident and was accused of having bull bars. It has been discussed here as to whether they constitute a modification but if I had them I would want to know if my insurance was affected.

Other reasons for removal are to do with weight and wind resistance. Best of all though is the fact that it looks real cool without them.

Keith

Comment

I've got mixed feelings about bull bars. They can do a lot of damage to a pedestrian. I have read that in a collision, with them fitted, you can do more damage to your chassis/ bodywork because they bend back and hit things that aren't in the impact area.
                  On the plus side.

Yes they look good.
                  The more chrome the better.

They are great for fitting extra antennas without drilling holes in the body work!

When cars are double parked and it is 50/50 as to who goes first, he with bull bars gets to go and the mini waits (he says tongue in cheek).

When you stop at a pedestrian crossing and cyclists do the, "I'm going to become a pedestrian, instead of a road user," trick and cut across in front of you, they bang their knees on A-Bars.

..........and you can mount spotlights on them.
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

[QUOTE=kitesurf_phil]I've got mixed feelings about bull bars. They can do a lot of damage to a pedestrian. I have read that in a collision, with them fitted, you can do more damage to your chassis/ bodywork because they bend back and hit things that aren't in the impact area.

In actual fact, and think about it, Bull bars on 4x4's are safer. I you hit a pedestrian in a 4x4 with bull bars fitted you will knock them down flat. With the high ground clearence you then pass safely over the body or stop over the top protecting them from further injury. If you hit a pedestrian with a low almost knife edge bonnet you flip them over the top so they bounce along the roof and then drop off into the road to be hit by the car behind. SO there you are a case for bull bars and if you clad them with foam you can call them "pedestrian friendly" Leave em on!!!!!!!!
                    Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

It's a matter of taste at the end of the day. Personally, I have a 3rd gen and dont like them with any bars on, but I do on the 1st and 2nd Gen.
                      If you go for them, you should consult your insurance company first as they can annul your policy if you didnt informed them at the outset of your insurance. As for the damage, bull bars or not, you will certainly know you've been hit by a Surf etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Koi

and so say all of us Nigel..

Comment

I guess that will leave them on (not that I am easily swayed much)
                          I just will have to get a big air horn fitted so not only can they see me but they will hear me to or is that what the stereo is for!!!
                          Attached Files
                          http://community.webshots.com/user/cassie08100

Comment

Yep keep them on your Surf looks good. I find a blast on the horn and a motor the size of a shed on wheels often moves any moving objects in my way..

Comment

Surfs look gay without bullbars.

Comment

Working...
                              X