Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we treat animals with more respect

Question.....

Got a call Monday night that my gran was in hospital after suffering a stroke an possibly had pneumonia. Wait for the dreaded call we were advised. Went to see her tuesday and was not a nice experience. Her blood count was half what it should be as she is suffering serious malnutrition (she was in a home). She looked so tiny lying there - she smiled an then just looked at me with a look like she has had enough. She wont allow them to tube her to feed her which tells me she s ready to go. She is 93 and can't speak anymore of do anything for herself ( apart from pull the tube out of her nose when they put it in ).

If I had an animal like that I would be able to put it out of its misery and would be called cruel for prolonging life.

Why do we insist on keeping them alive when clearly they have had enough.
    How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

dont know what to say on this one but i wish her luck n hopefully a speedy recovery.
    we will be thinking of her.

Comment

similar with my nan.... she was 91 and (understandably) didn't want a camera shoved up her bum!
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Its a tough one to call Bibs...

I cant envisage a time when I wouldn't fight with every last breath I have, but I know what you're saying. If you understand that there is no hope, and it is your wish to let go, then maybe it should be a little easier for you to leave this life with dignity.

Its fraught with pitfalls though, particularly if you are not fully in control of your faculties. I mean, its a pretty final thing, death, and it would be very bad to make a mistake, particularly for the person administering the drugs etc.

Keep your chin up.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I know what you're sayin but would you still feel the same if you couldn't communicate or do anything for yourself and just lay in bed. Is that a life. I perssonaly have a DNR if I ever have a bad accident that would render me helpless.

While its a sad loss to see them go - its sadder to watch the suffering.

I know this is a very personal opinion but I just can't make sense of it when its said to be cruelty with any other living thing but humans.

Thanks for your kind words.
          Last edited by Bibs; 3 April 2008, 20:01.

Comment

Personally I agree that as animal owners we give them the respect of easeing their suffering. I agree that we should be able to do the same with people, but I think that the legistration involved would be imense, and the possibility of abuse worrying.
            I do hope it is in place when my time comes.
            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Bibs View Post
              I know what you're sayin but would you still feel the same if you couldn't communicate or do anything for yourself and just lay in bed. Is that a life. I perssonaly have a DNR if I ever have a bad accident that would render me helpless.

While its a sad loss to see them go - its sadder to watch the suffering.

I know this is a very personal opinion but I just can't make sense of it when its said to be cruelty with any other living thing but humans.

Thanks for your kind words.

well bibs keep ur head up..

I hav to say I agree with u it is a strange world.
              Why can we not decide to die with dignity?
              i think the choice should be there in the situation when people are not able to do anything themselves anymore or are in a lot off pain and there is no possible cure.

they moan about over population but yet the whitecoats put so much money and effort in keeping people alive that hav no life really.

anyway I hope u are all ok.
              Hope ur mum finds a way out of her suffering soon one way or another.

keep ur heads up sending some strength ur way..

toby
              One day at the time I guess..

Comment

sorry to hear that bibs love

its a hard time to go through
                i just been through it myself and i know its not easy
                you need to be stronge for others
                i agree with what your saying but iam sure your nan is a fighter to the better end
                hard tho it may be keep your strenth up

my thoughts are with you
                am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Thanks guys - not holding out much hope though. She is still refusing the feeding tube and its been days now. Think she is ready to go.

Comment

Sorry bibs it must be awfull for you to watch and wait. Thinking of ya gal. The ruck family.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitsy View Post
                      Sorry bibs it must be awfull for you to watch and wait. Thinking of ya gal. The ruck family.
                      Cheers shell, dont think I can watch anymore an feel awful for my mum. Rather remember her smiling at me the other night.

Just puts things in perspective really.

Comment

Aw sh1t i could cry for ya gal, i really dont now what to say but chin up and we are all hear for ya mate.

Comment

Cheers mate - helps to get it out. Thanks.

Comment

A close friends Gran is going through exactly the same, know how you feel. Their situation is slightly easier to resolve as she won't come out of the coma after the stoke. Daughter is flying back from Mexico right now to say goodbye, and then they will end it.

Sad times, but thats life. The fact you're so sad proves how much she has ment to you, and thats a good thing to have had.

Fully support a way of dying with dignity, at your choice. But its a route thats hard to police for people with less ethics than normal people.

Thinking of you.
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Bibs View Post
                              Cheers shell, dont think I can watch anymore an feel awful for my mum. Rather remember her smiling at me the other night.

Just puts things in perspective really.
                              i know exactly where your coming from bibs.when my dad passed away a few months back.every evening i would go and see him and watch him as he deteriorated.that was the worse thing for me.i tried to remember him sat in hospital laughing and joking and that always puts a smile on my face,remember the good times hun.
                              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X