Jerry can suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry can suggestions

In June I'm taking my pilgrimage to Scotland. Now when we were last there two years ago the nearest fuel was 50 miles away, so with the poor fuel range of the surf it can get a bit tight sometimes.
    This time I am going to get two 20 Litre jerry cans, but I'm after ideas of where to put them. I have the underslung spare so on the back is out of the question.

I was thinking of putting them in one of the storage compartments I have built in the boot, but the trailer puts 60-80 kg on the towbar already.
    I jokingly suggested putting the A bar back on and fitting them there, but I think it's illeagle to start with, plus it would effect the cooling.
    I have roof bars, but they are for the roof box and at the rear of the car.
    I could put the Thule roof bars on at the front and look for some form of lockable carrier.

I'm just after ideas.
    nice helpful ones would be best
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Put them in the back of the trailer, it'll reduce the nose weight.
    http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Unfortunatley for the Scotland run the trailer (folding camper) is fully loaded (plus I think I'd get killed even suggesting putting jerry cans in there).
      I wouldn't want to alter the nose weight, as she has survived the 'elk test'.
      Nice idea though.
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Roof? door? bonnet? boot?
        https://www.expeditionexchange.com/jerrycanholders/
        All of the above!
        http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

My Jerry can just sits in the boot, minding it's own business.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Two full jerry cans weigh about 42kg, which won't bother a surf at all, and you could lighten the nose weight of the trailer to compensate, or fit them to the towing "A" frame at the front.
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

I'm leaning towards something like this

I had thought of putting them on the front, but I think it will adversely effect the cooling (remember she will be fully loaded and the Scotland trip has resulted in an AA return twice) and I think there is the strong posibility that it would be illeagle (sharp edges on the front).
              Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Could you fix them to a bracket underneath on the opposite side to the fuel tank? as for being on the front, there are plenty of LR's with them fitted to the front!!!

Mark............
                Let taste be the enemy of art!

Comment

I really think you're fretting over nothing. Just put them in the boot. Unless you have really knackered rear springs then your truck will barely notice the difference.
                  Paul </Slugsie>
                  Immortal.so far!

Comment

somme times i go off roading with 2 jerry cans straped down in the boot
                    plus tools
                    it wont efect your surf
                    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
                      somme times i go off roading with 2 jerry cans straped down in the boot
                      plus tools
                      it wont efect your surf

Me too!
                      Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

It isn't that I'm fretting, I'm just working out the best way of sorting it. When I say fully loaded, the folding camper comes in at 1ton and when it is ultra stable it puts about 80 kg on the tow hitch.
                        Inside the car will be seven border collies and two grey hounds, two full size (ok I'm slightly oversize) adults, and the three way fridge. There will also be all our bits and pieces which normally take up the entire roof box, with other items in any cubby hole I can find (including the roof net).
                        I've got the uprated springs and shocks, and in the past have had over 3/4 ton in the boot, so know how good it is. She just has a problem with Scotland and two times out of three she's come back on a wagon (one was the head).
                        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

personally id either.... put them against the back seat an then put a strap around them using the wheel arch hook things so they didnt tip up or anything.... or if i felt creative! build a little slab thing to hold them in place against the rear seats!

Comment

If it's an auto, you may be wise to fit an extra transmission cooler, as that's a lot of strain to put on a vehicle, and I'd say that lot exceeds it's design capabilities.
                            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

I've been looking at the same problem as I intend to take my surf through the pyrenees next year. I really don't want fuel holders inside the cab due to possible fumes, plus the probs if someone drives into the back of me.

I was saying to my wife the other day we'd have been better buying a twin cab pick up but.....you live and learn.

I'm thinking of getting a roof box on my rails and putting a few jerry cans in on their sides.(strapped down of course) means my idea for a second spare will have to move to a rear carrier (was going to put on roof)

The best idea I saw in this thread was from plumb bob who said to fix them on the A on your trailer. Would work well and keeps them outside the cab.

Rob.

Comment

Working...
                              X