yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big a trailer can I tow with a Nissan Almera 1.4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big a trailer can I tow with a Nissan Almera 1.4?

I am moving house soon and I still haven't sorted out getting a new hilux, so I am going to have to use the old mans almera.

It has a tow bar but I am wondering how much it will tow, I was hoping to hire a 8 or 10 foot trailer for a few days as I am only moving a couple of miles and I don't want to pay over £1000 for removals. Will this be too much?

Any thoughs much appreciated.

James

Originally posted by Jameswood345
    I am moving house soon and I still haven't sorted out getting a new hilux, so I am going to have to use the old mans almera.

It has a tow bar but I am wondering how much it will tow, I was hoping to hire a 8 or 10 foot trailer for a few days as I am only moving a couple of miles and I don't want to pay over £1000 for removals. Will this be too much?

James
    you'd be better hiring a 7.5 tonner, you'll get everything on and it'll save problems with you not being out of the property when the new people get there.

it keeps everything dry and you can hire it over a few days and do it at your leisure!

how big a house have you got for it to cost £1000????
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by Jameswood345

James
      get your local surfers round with towbars,try a bbq and few beers is usually enough to get a few on the hired help side.
      Enjoying Life after Cancer
      Pops

Comment

I thought about hiring a 7.5 ton van but I am only 21 so that is a no go, I am buying a converted loft in the town centre so I am having a few floors laid etc and was hoping to move over the space of 2 weeks as the developer will let me move my stuff in once exchanged contracts. ( already agreed 2 week delayed completion)

I also need to move large shed to my parents place so I can keep tools and still have a small workshop hiring a trailer would make this easy.

Removal costs are high as I have a fair bit of stuff and they charge more to deliver in the town centre.

Not sure what to do really.

Comment

7.5 tonner would be ideal, what's the problem with that ? is it because of insurance ? some companies will hire to a 21 yr old, after all that's the age that you can legaly drive a HGV. I was hiring and driving 7.5's when I was 17 !!
          Another option would be to get a "man and van" we have then in Bournemouth you can usually get them for about £25 p/h, 2 men and a motor.

Comment

Originally posted by bobafatass
            7.5 tonner would be ideal, what's the problem with that ? is it because of insurance ? some companies will hire to a 21 yr old, after all that's the age that you can legaly drive a HGV. I was hiring and driving 7.5's when I was 17 !!
            Another option would be to get a "man and van" we have then in Bournemouth you can usually get them for about £25 p/h, 2 men and a motor.
            only if you've got C1 category on your licence... not standard anymore!
            at 21 i think james might have missed it as the cut off was 1997.

check you can tow a trailer too!! the B+E is not standard either.

which is why you see a lot of lovely "horsey girls" at the HGV testing station these days!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
              only if you've got C1 category on your licence... not standard anymore!
              at 21 i think james might have missed it as the cut off was 1997.

check you can tow a trailer too!! the B+E is not standard either.

which is why you see a lot of lovely "horsey girls" at the HGV testing station these days!
              I hired a 7.5 tonner last year and I was only 22, dont have c1, they just said-"have you driven one before?" 'Course I have mate'
              All done and dusted&not much longer than a surf anyhow!
              Sam

Comment

TOWING WEIGHT IS 80% OF VEHICLES WEIGHT e.g surf is lets say 2 Tonne so the recomended towing weight is 1600kg 1 Tonne = 1000Kgs
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                  TOWING WEIGHT IS 80% OF VEHICLES WEIGHT e.g surf is lets say 2 Tonne so the recomended towing weight is 1600kg 1 Tonne = 1000Kgs

Dont forget if the trailor is unbraked it must not exceed 750kg gross weight.
                  Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by mark g8awo
                    Dont forget if the trailor is unbraked it must not exceed 750kg gross weight.
                    I was hoping to hire a 8 or 10 foot trailer
                    At that length it should be braked
                    (\__/)
                    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by sammy
                      I hired a 7.5 tonner last year and I was only 22, dont have c1, they just said-"have you driven one before?" 'Course I have mate'
                      All done and dusted&not much longer than a surf anyhow!
                      Sam
                      they didn't check your licence?

they're getting strict now, they'll want proof of what you're using it for too, so it doesn't get impounded for not having an operators licence.

Comment

Sorry, this is a myth. Consult the manufacturer's handbook or website. 4Runners are rated at 2475kg.

Comment

All hire companies require faxed copies of your O licence and insurance before they will let you hire a 7.5 tonner. Even if you lease the truck long-term and the hire company keeps all your records and does the maintainence for you, you still have to hold an O licence.

Actually this isnt as bad as it seems.... the average 7500Kg truck has a 16-18' body and a payload of 2200Kg, You can hire 4000Kg Luton vans with 14'6" bodies and a 1400Kg payload from most companies. There is a one tonne difference in payload but not so much in volume and 4 tonne vans are cheaper to rent and more user friendly (but you still need to use the tachograph!)

Comment

Originally posted by NeillOP

Sorry, this is a myth. Consult the manufacturer's handbook or website. 4Runners are rated at 2475kg.
                            not a myth its a UK recomended towing weight.
                            Last edited by marky; 24 March 2004, 14:19.
                            (\__/)
                            (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                            X