HD Spring advice required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD Spring advice required

I'm after some advice, I am looking to add HD springs to Hippo to prop up her gently sagging bum.

I know you have to be careful with the brake lines in case of stretching them.

Question is, can I get away WITHOUT the Panhard drop kit and longer shocks ?

Trev - the tight fisted squirrel
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

If you're going HD as in heavy duty - milners 20% uprated standard height then everything else can stay as it is.

2" lift you can get away with standard shocks and so on but won't get much benefit from it offroad. If you're going any higher than that i'd want to change the shocks at the same time.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

sorry, let me clarify, I was looking at the LC HD80 springs
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev View Post
        sorry, let me clarify, I was looking at the LC HD80 springs
        that'd be the HDJ80 springs then

i'd be looking to do +2" or +3" shocks with them at the same time, and seriously consider the extended brake lines too. As far as the panhard rod goes it's not essential to do it immediately, i guess it's down to you whether you want it done at all.

- the maths says it only moves the axle by less than half an inch anyway theoretically....
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Remove the panhard rod, give a wipe, and chuck it into a bowl full of maths and it'll magically transform.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Remove the panhard rod, give a wipe, and chuck it into a bowl full of maths and it'll magically transform.
            If you chuck it in a bowl of maths, will it multiply or divide?

Comment

Neither. It will fourier-transform.

Change shocks to +2" or 3" unless you want to have to pay for a replacement spine in a few months.

The std Toyota ones will be topped out and have NO rebound damping. Its painful. trust me, I know!
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

The drop bracket is not essential. I haven't bothered and I lifted mine about 2 years ago.

If you don't want to fit new shocks - fit some brackets to extend the length of your existing ones.

I made up some temporary U shaped brackets about 5'' long, holes drilled at 3'' pitch. Fitted one end to the axle and the other to the bottom of the existing shock.

Why? Because Procomp gave me such a run around I had to wait about 6 weeks to get the news ones delivered.

As Apache says - you do not want to fit LC springs without doing something to the shocks (also voice of experience)

Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 28 March 2008, 15:28.
                Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

stop putting bits of your truck on the cream carpet they will leave a stain!!

Comment

Why not look into the Roughtrax +2" springs? You'll get away with no mods on the panhard rod, brake lines should be absolutly fine. (anyway, A small spacer under the line where it joins to the axle sorts that out) an standard shocks will have a bit more travel in them if you cant/dont want to get new shocks just yet.

I have them an they are awesome springs.

Comment

Trev I have those springs fitted with +3" shocks and the sway bar removed.
                      The flex off road is huge and the brake line is fine the hard line is still clipped to the axle and the standard center rubber line is long enough. I have seen other trucks with the hard line unclipped. I don't think any two of these things are the same.
                      I will change to the braided lines soon to improve brakes but wasn't need when I fitted +3" springs.
                      Brian

Comment

Ask stein if he can do you a adjustable panhard rod...........and he was looking into cups for the springs as well
                        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Working...
                        X