V.A.T. on Surfs question.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V.A.T. on Surfs question.........

I am looking at the possibility of reclaiming the VAT on my recently purchased gen 3 surf, i run my own small business & would be interested if any of you can give me info on whether the surf comes under the commercial vehicle category or not for reclaiming VAT on it, anybody any experience they would like to share.

Cheers

Iain
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

vat on surfs

no chance they are classed as a car mind you if you converted it to a van like they do on the disco you might be able to claim the vat back but they would probobley want to see it . no rear seats and steel side panels instead of glass in the back. aint worth the hassel

Comment

Originally posted by rsvr
      I am looking at the possibility of reclaiming the VAT on my recently purchased gen 3 surf, i run my own small business & would be interested if any of you can give me info on whether the surf comes under the commercial vehicle category or not for reclaiming VAT on it, anybody any experience they would like to share.

Cheers

Iain
      If you bought the vehicle from new, as posted it would need converting to a van to reclaim the VAT, but if the vehicle is second hand you should not have been charged VAT
      If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Originally posted by Fish
        If you bought the vehicle from new, as posted it would need converting to a van to reclaim the VAT, but if the vehicle is second hand you should not have been charged VAT
        if the dealer was VAT registered then VAT would be charged but only on the price difference between the value the dealer bought it for and the price he sold it for, irrespective of any work he had to do to get it to showroom condition.
        it's a bit of a wierd setup and i might have explained it wrong, but i think that's about right.
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks, i understood that these surf imports all have VAT to pay on them on entering the country, some elements have VAT some don't, i.e. shipping fees/agents fees etc., there is definately VAT in my purchase, i really just want to find out if i can reclaim it through my business as it will be used off road & as a load carrier for my line of work.

It seems as though it might be a bit of a grey area, thought maybe somebody could clarify for definate.

Thanks

Comment

They take the cost of the vehicle plus freight charges and then add 10% import duty,and then charge the VAT on the total.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
              They take the cost of the vehicle plus freight charges and then add 10% import duty,and then charge the VAT on the total.
              Thanks for the clarification Andy

Comment

Working...
              X