ATF Renewal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATF Renewal

It's about time that I renewed the ATF but I'm a bit confused. According to the book a drain and refill is only 1.2lt but a dry fill is 6.5lt(after rebuild) That would leave 5.3lt of the old stuff in there. Which doesn't seem right. Is there a filter in the gearbox that needs changing? As filling is through the tiny tube do I need to worry about air locks?

Cheers
    Jason

IIRC mine took a touch over 5l for an ATF drain and refill.

U sure the 1.2 isn't the gear oil for the transfer case, sounds about the right quantity for that to me.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

I think Jason may be right, we went into this a while back when i was going to do mine, i ended up jus tdraining it from the sump and undoing the cooler pipes at the rad, then did em up and refilled it, done this twice since so it's pretty much all new stuff in there but i think the correct way is to undo both cooler pipes, place the ends in two clean buckets and get someone to blip the starter, this is to determine which pipe is the "flow" once you get the flow pipe fill the other bucket with new atf and submerge the return pipe in it,
      start the engine and let it idle, new fluid is sucked in and old stuff is pumped into the other bucket (flow) this is maintained till new fluid comes out the flow pipe, refit the pipes and do final top up as usual,
      now all this seems ok but ya need a $hit load of atf and it aint cheap so i'd do what i did
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Is there an atf filter?? when i changed mine just got it warmed up undid the sump plug draned the lot and re filled from dip stick the cooler pipes can be hard to get at with the air con still in place

Comment

I drained mine, filled with 4 Litres of ATF, went for a run, drained (left for ages until it stopped dripping) then filled with 4.5 litres of ATF. Cost me about £30 for the fluid, but pretty much new in there now.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I think there's a filter in there but you have to remove the sump (new gasket)
            to get at it,
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Cheers everyone. It's all clear and simple sounding now.

Comment

clear as mud eh?
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

A load stays in the torque converter, so I understand. When Mr N did mine a year or so back, he drained, refilled, ran the truck, drained, refilled etc etc until what came out was nice and clean. Uses more ATF, but at least you know whats in there is good.

Mind you, he used some to clean my passenger side battery, the fluorescent light in the pit, hands and arms and generally redden up my engine bay too.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                  X