chickens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chickens

Anyone converted a shed into a chicken coup ? I got a 8' x 16' shed I want to convert the last 8' of for chickens . We will be looking at rehoming rescue chickens . Not the sort that have lifeguard experience , but ex battery chickens . I think Linda has some.
    I need to know how to convert the shed .

Joker ..... you keep away !!
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

wheres joker? he knows a thing or two about chickens haha
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Know nowt about chickens but top marks to you for doing what your doing
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

If you have a trawl through this forum you should find what you are looking for if not there is always people selling arks and the plastic ones called EGLU's

http://forum.rivercottage.net/viewfo...ays=0&start=50

Good luck and enjoy, used to keep chickens they can be so low maintainance if looked after properly.
        www.merkinchlnr.org.uk

Comment

I'd just partition off one end, you could make it full height or have a roof 1/2 way up. Then a pop hole for the chooks in an outside wall, and a door for you to get in and out to muck out and collect eggs.

They need a perch or a shelf to roost on.

And away you go.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2 View Post
            Anyone converted a shed into a chicken coup ? I got a 8' x 16' shed I want to convert the last 8' of for chickens . We will be looking at rehoming rescue chickens . Not the sort that have lifeguard experience , but ex battery chickens . I think Linda has some.

CHICKENS are for LIFE not just for Easter
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2 View Post

as if !! where did you say you lived rick
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                I'd just partition off one end, you could make it full height or have a roof 1/2 way up. Then a pop hole for the chooks in an outside wall, and a door for you to get in and out to muck out and collect eggs.

They need a perch or a shelf to roost on.

And away you go.

wot bout a body lift?wind the torsion bars up?lmao

Comment

Mine are due to arrive in a week or so - just spent an hour makin this
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01297.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1247078

because they are too small for the main run yet an my hatefull cat will prob kill them.

They are sooo cute -
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Chicks.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	1247079
                  Last edited by Bibs; 24 March 2008, 22:14.
                  How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Hear u are this is what our,s looks like but with a pop hole on the side.

Comment

Originally posted by marky View Post
                      CHICKENS are for LIFE not just for Easter
                      Nah they for dinner burp!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi View Post
                        Nah they for dinner burp!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        funny you say that cause i did have roast chicken for tea last night.Just think a week ago it was running around and this week it had its head cut off and his neck rammed up its arse..
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

We just fenced off a bit of garden, (chicken wire up the sides and over the top at about 8', and made a smallish shed with some wooden posts at various angles and a "laying bench" with straw in it at the back, this had a section that hinged down so we could acces the eggs from there.

It was built with the back as part of the fence for easy collection

Also had a little sheltered place for food/water (which they like to stand IN).

All greenery was stripped within a month (6 hens) lol

All gone now to make way for the bore hole we had installed after the big droughts a couple of years ago
                          More Lift.
                          More Tyres.
                          More Engine.

Comment

We have chicks . 5 little chirpers . We put them in one of the dog kennels and I am modifying one of the other kennels for a more suitable home until the proper home in one of the sheds is made.
                            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

when we got ours (6 light sussex) i built the shed as it was recomended
                              4ftx4ft wooden shed raised of the ground with two nest boxes and an 8x4
                              run but i thought it was cramped so now they have an 8x4 shed and part
                              of the garden is fenced of(30ftx10ft) then in that they have a small pond
                              to drink out of then took some old tyres laid one flat and filled with sand
                              which needs constantly topping up then i took 5 16 inch tyres fastened them together to make a tunnel and sunk it slightly so the inside was level with the ground and this is for shade from the sun dry from the rain and somewhere
                              quite high so they can just perch and preen?

Comment

Working...
                              X