Exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust question

My 1997 3.0 lt auto KZN185 failed its MOT yestrday as the pipe just behind the main box has a 3" split. I had a look at http://www.milneroffroad.com/categories.asp?cID=11787 at item no 2

1) Is this the correct main box for my vehicle?
    2) I have only the main box fitted. Does lack of a rear box affect
    performance affect performance, fuel consumtion etc.
    3) Can you fit a stainless steel main box onto a mild steel exhaust?
    4) If fitting a complete stainless steel system, how does this affect
    performance etc. (some people mentioned something to do withb the
    turbo getting more air. Can somone please explain this to me?)

It does seems a bit of a waste to chuck the whole box just because the rear piece of pipe has a split in it. For the time being I have put a Holts "bandage" around it in the hope that it will get through the MOT.
    Ideally I would like to pick up a second hand one as later in the year I would like to replace the whole system with stainless steel. Unfortunately the money does not stretch that far at present. Advice gratefully accepted.

I got a mechanic to weld a metal patch over a hole in my system, a lot cheaper than a replacement system and it lasted for years. i doubt the holts bandage will pass your MOT and i give it a life of a few weeks...

Back in the day Baby

Comment

as long as it doesn't leak they can't fail it for a bandaged exhaust
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
        as long as it doesn't leak they can't fail it for a bandaged exhaust
        Sorry..forgot English MOT testers have common sense...we have the hitler youth running our MOT centres (gov dept) my car recently failed due to passenger wiper blade only cleaning 70 % odd of screen, ....

thats listed on the MOT fail print out

In addition we have waiting time of 8 weeks for an MOT....its just like the now defunct USSR....goverment gone mad

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Just get it welded, it will pass.
          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

take it to your local exhaust fabricators. they could cut a bit out and replace with stainless. or patch it for a back hand private.
            well thats what i used to do when i was in that trade
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Thanks. I will think about getting it welded as I don't want to spend £120 on a new box only to replace it with stainless steel in a few months time.

Comment

Working...
              X