Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• true or not?

just a quickie.

i was at a garage lastnight about a knock iv got on the top end, i think its injector related. however he said he'd had a golf in for the same reason and it turned out to be a hole in the piston face from the use of veg, as he said it burns hotter than derv.

is this true or is he talking bollox.

Sounds like shoite to me. Has a lower calorific value than diesel so I'd deduce it burns cooler.

There is the possibility that the injector spray pattern is not ideal using veg though...
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

It's not due to hotter burn, but rather the spray pattern. Thick VO can cause hotspots on the crown, and thus damage, but it is just due to the spray pattern being off. It can also go the opposite way and do the same to the cylinder wall.

Comment

aahhh. so properly working injectors is of the upmost importance.

Think a phone call to diesel bob is in order.

Comment

Sticking or blocked injectors will give a ticking sound.
          Just empty a bottle of injector cleaner into the fuel filter the next time you re-new it.

Comment

Yes the spray pattern with veg is different ......diesel Bob will recon them for veg at about £34ea +vat .....Keep meaning to do mine but never have the dosh spare
            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

cheers vince. i presume that knackerd injectors will also contribute to a miss on startup. (had plugs renewed already)
              tried that with no good results.

biohazzard - i read about the veg capable injectors. liked the sound of em.

Comment

ok call me stupid here.but i dont see how the spray pattern could affect the toyota being indirect injection. and going into a swirl chamber first.direct injection yes.where the injector is directly above the piston.i was under the influence that all indirect diesel engines use pintle injectors and all direct injection used multihole injectors.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                  ok call me stupid here.but i dont see how the spray pattern could affect the toyota being indirect injection. and going into a swirl chamber first.direct injection yes.where the injector is directly above the piston.i was under the influence that all indirect diesel engines use pintle injectors and all direct injection used multihole injectors.
                  Mark - remember what we talked about - no Vimto while you are working......honestly!!
                  Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

He does make a ###### good point though!

Edit: b l o o d y? a swear word? Blimey!
                    More Lift.
                    More Tyres.
                    More Engine.

Comment

I think its rubbish too,
                      I know a few people running veg oil in different cars (including a gold estate) and they have had no problems at all,
                      infact, I saw tonyN engine in pieces after he had been running veg oil for 6months or so (and he is using used veg oil which might actually be a little bit thicker) and it looked perfect.
                      My mate with the golf estate ran a 2 tank arrangement and also used used veg oil and also never had any problems.
                      Its all just lies, I wonder how many cars have had the same problem and never seen veg oil.

Comment

Good point well made Mark. Injector spray pattern shouldn't make a blind bit of difference then should it?
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

trust me to fork out for 4 dieselbob injectors and then find out i should have bought the veg-oil-ready ones...

oh well,
                          ive been running veg for ages now, and some times it hiccups on startup but most of the time its fine. just use a bit of white spirit in your tank with the veg oil mix.

whats this knocking noise you have? is it tappet type noise or something?
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

ok call me stupid here.but i dont see how the spray pattern could affect the toyota being indirect injection.
                            Oops. I'd forgotten it was IDI. Honestly couldn't say if it has any effect in that case. (My memory is refusing to play ball at the moment). A quick Google should bring a definitive yes/no up, however.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                              Oops. I'd forgotten it was IDI. Honestly couldn't say if it has any effect in that case. (My memory is refusing to play ball at the moment). A quick Google should bring a definitive yes/no up, however.
                              thats cheating matt.
                              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X