Fuel Filter/Redex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Filter/Redex

My fuel consumption seems to be fairly high - even for a Surf - and need to do the usual to sort out. I have put a couple of bottles of Wynns diesel treatment through, and have not noticed any c**p being blown out and no extra fuel perf. The air filter is brand new too, but I have no idea when the fuel filter was last changed. Will changing the f/filter make any noticeable difference to fuel consumption?

With regards to Redex, I see from previous posts that people say dump the contents of the bottle into a quarter tank, but what size bottle are we talking about here? Halfrauds sell three sizes at least, from about 400ml up to a million gallons so which is recommended? How often should this be repeated?

Cheers, Nick
    "The force will be with you, always!"

NICK i put the 400ml one in with 1/4 tank of fuel as i did not know which one to use, i would recomend changing the fuel filter especially if you dont know when it was last done.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

fuel

keep it under a ton m8 and youll be amazed at the saving in fuel costs lol
      black n tan
      black n tan
      yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Originally posted by slydog
        keep it under a ton m8 and youll be amazed at the saving in fuel costs lol
        DOH So that's where I've been going wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Nick V
          DOH So that's where I've been going wrong
          Just how bad is the fuel consuption? Check it here.
          http://www.ex.ac.uk/trol/scol/ccfuel.htm
          Pete

Comment

I am trying to do an accurate calculation at the moment, but seem to be getting about 20mpg at best - which is a long way off what some on here say!! This is mixed driving town & m/way,

Cheers, Nick

Comment

I am trying to do an accurate calculation at the moment, but seem to be getting about 20mpg at best - which is a long way off what some on here say!! This is mixed driving town & m/way,

Cheers, Nick
              I'm getting about 14 mpg, not happy with that, there gonna have to be some changes
              There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

'There's no place like 127.0.0.1'

Comment

Originally posted by onlynik
                I'm getting about 14 mpg, not happy with that, there gonna have to be some changes
                Blimey Nik, maybe mine ain't so bad after all!!

Cheers, Nick

Comment

going back a couple of posts here: so will changing the diesel filter have an effect on fuel economy....? can't see how that works..(but thats nothing new)

get around 20 myself on average and am always looking for ways to improve it..

jonny

Comment

[QUOTE=jonny595]going back a couple of posts here: so will changing the diesel filter have an effect on fuel economy....?

no the diesel filter wont but the air filter will
                    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                    [size=5][/size]
                    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

If you don't know the history of it, it would definatly be a good idea to change the fuel filter, and while doing so, many people reccomend adding the redex (or whatever) directly into the filter bowl prior to refitting, this way your injectors get a blast of pure cleaning power. I've not actually tried this myself, but have seen it given as advice many times (including on here) and it reputidly yields good results.
                      Maurice
                      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Cheers, Nick
                        It might be a long way off what 'some' say, but there are plenty getting what you are! EG: here,
                        http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...ead.php?t=4113
                        Read post No7.
                        Pete

Comment

I get approx 26-28/Gal from my 2.4L SSR-X (if my calculations are correct) but then I get straight on the M1 at J11 and park about 1.5Miles from J4. I do very little running round and short journeys.

I can use 1/3 tank in one afternoon at the Pit
                          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
                            It might be a long way off what 'some' say, but there are plenty getting what you are! EG: here,
                            http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...ead.php?t=4113
                            Read post No7.
                            Pete
                            Maybe it's not so bad after all then. I will have a good check on exactly what is being used, and I will change the fuel filter any way,

Cheers, Nick

Comment

Maybe it's not so bad after all then. I will have a good check on exactly what is being used, and I will change the fuel filter any way,

Cheers, Nick
                              Yeah, do the filters and the usual servicing (give it the Redex). Make sure tyres are not too soft, and see how it's doing. I've read that spotlights, bullbars, and wind deflectors can all make a difference, but I have all of these and they are staying!

Comment

Working...
                              X