has anyone had the v8 conversion ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what's an I6 supra?

my mate has a supra which has something wrong with the gearbox... he lives in tadley and it's just sitting on the drive... not sure what it is though...
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
      what's an I6 supra?

my mate has a supra which has something wrong with the gearbox... he lives in tadley and it's just sitting on the drive... not sure what it is though...
      I6-Inline 6, straight six motor. 3.0lt, easy 200hp with some playing, turbo'ed Toyota power, known to have a head gasket problem (suprise, suprise...... A popular swap into 2nd Gens in the states.)

Sounds intriging, I'm sure we can find room for it if he needs shot of it, (don't tell Linda though......)
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        I6-Inline 6, straight six motor. 3.0lt, easy 200hp with some playing, turbo'ed Toyota power, known to have a head gasket problem (suprise, suprise...... A popular swap into 2nd Gens in the states.)

Sounds intriging, I'm sure we can find room for it if he needs shot of it, (don't tell Linda though......)
        i'll ask him what it is... all i know is it's black and pointy!!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
          i'll ask him what it is... all i know is it's black and pointy!!
          Hehehe... that sounds like a woman's description!!
          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            Its easy, heres mine!

A stock 3.5 is only 160ish HP, not much point is swapping out the intercooled 3rd gen motor unless it blown up.

3.9's have a history of porus blocks and crappy electrics, and 4.2's are still a little dear. Personally, I'm turning my back on good ol' Rover, and heading down the Chevy route (V6 if I can get one, or V8 is not) for the new truck, it gets the same MPG as a Rover, with bags more torque and HP, unless a I6 Supra motor drops in my lap

Elvz, the water pump problem on SD1 motors is easy, you need a Buick water pump (I got one for £36 from a US parts importers in Beds), or MGB ones to clear the rad,
            Tony,

I know wheres there is a V8 silly litre Dodge engine just sitting about - only drawback is its a diesel.... loads of torque though !
            [center][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=7][color=magenta][u][b][img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipgrl12.gif[/img][/b][/u][/color][/size] [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipmn1.gif[/img][/font][/center][center][img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/shyAV5.jpg[/img][/center][center][b][color=#ff00ff][size=7][u]E[/u][/size][u][size=5]ms [/size][size=5]&[/size][size=7] J[/size][size=5]im[/size][/u][/color][/b][/center]

Comment

Originally posted by Ems and Jim
              Tony,

I know wheres there is a V8 silly litre Dodge engine just sitting about - only drawback is its a diesel.... loads of torque though !
              me too... in newbury there's a scrap 5.0 V8 chevy ambulance (outside newbury transmissions!)

p.s. the supra description is cos i only ever seen it sitting on his drive from a distance... apparently it's fast though!

Comment

Originally posted by Ems and Jim
                Tony,

V8 Diesel?? V8 power and it can get wet??
                Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                  V8 Diesel?? V8 power and it can get wet??
                  Probably the 6.6 Litre Diesel that is fitted to the Dodge Ram Minibus or whatever they call them. One hell of an engine, but heavy as a Surf. You would need to seriously toughen up the front suspension to take that kind of weight.

If you want an American V8 have a look in the ads at the back of Classic American, there are always a few going - a Small balck Chevy (350ci, or 305ci) or a Small Block Ford (5.0 SHO out of a Mustang) would definately do the job and be a lot lighter. Just need to spend a bit of time waterproofing it although on the Chevy engine (well some of them anyway) all the electrics are pretty high up anyway.

Mind you if you could easily get considerably tougher front suspension for the Surf (mind you it would understeer like a train) then the 6.6 Diesel is a great engine and has torque by the bucketload (pretty much the same output as a Big Block Chevy engine).

Cheers

Comment

Any engine would be an improvement on none.... come on Big T.. get going on putting those trucks back together!!! I wanna PLAY!!!
                    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                      Any engine would be an improvement on none.... come on Big T.. get going on putting those trucks back together!!! I wanna PLAY!!!
                      Its got an engine in it! Just need to carry a few jerry cans of water around in the back!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                      X