Question for the I.T chaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the I.T chaps

Having a muppet moment. Which procs use 64 bit technology? Which require, or can utilise, a 64 bit OS?

have a look here http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun0....htm?print=yes
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Some more info http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-comput...spirit-3495201
      Operating system
      Your hardware may support 4GB or more, but the OS may not know what to do with it. 32-bit operating systems may address up to 4GB of memory, but that doesn’t mean you’ll necessarily get to use it all.

Various devices, such as graphics cards, require memory-mapped access, and this must be contained within the 4GB addressable limit on a 32-bit OS.

Microsoft warns that some systems could end up having less than 3GB remaining, but the maximum available to 32-bit versions of Vista will only ever be around 3.12GB. If your processor supports technologies like Intel’s PAE though, you may be able to maximise the amount of Ram.

If you want to use all 4GB of Ram, you’ll need a 64-bit operating system and a processor that understands a 64-bit instruction set. Luckily, both AMD and Intel CPUs have supported 64-bit extensions to the x86 instruction set for some time now, and Windows Vista is available in 64-bit versions.

To see how a 4GB upgrade works we took an existing PC equipped with 2GB of Ram, using a pair of 1GB Crucial DDR-II memory cards. The Asus motherboard has four memory card slots and # according to both Asus and the Crucial Memory Advisor Tool # its Intel 975X chipset and physical design supports 8GB of Ram.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

I've just built a new PC with Intel MoBo and CPU (Core 2 Duo) and 4GB RAM running Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Just had to chenge the RAM as it was 2.1v and the board would only support 1.8v
        Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by marky View Post
          If you want to use all 4GB of Ram, you’ll need a 64-bit operating system and a processor that understands a 64-bit instruction set. Luckily, both AMD and Intel CPUs have supported 64-bit extensions to the x86 instruction set for some time now, and Windows Vista is available in 64-bit versions.
          Cheers Mark. I'm gonna have a peek at those links now, but judging by the above, I'm gonna be installing the 64 bit OS. The board that's due takes upto 8GB ram, (just popping 4GB going in for the moment), so will need it, I presume?

Been looking at all the specs over the last week or two, and read some of the info regarding the Intel and AMD 64 bit technology, but the more one reads, the more vague the answer seems to become. I've gone into brain fry mode.

Cheers again Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
            I've just built a new PC with Intel MoBo and CPU (Core 2 Duo) and 4GB RAM running Vista Home Premium 64-bit
            Core 2 setup is the same one as I've gone for. Always had a prefernce for AMD in the past, but with this one being for the server, took everything into consideration for longevity and stability, so I've ended up going down the Intel route. (I'm obviously not taking the M$ route though).

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
            Just had to chenge the RAM as it was 2.1v and the board would only support 1.8v
            Hopefully, I should be okay on that front. I've gone for one of the Abit boards, specifically for their configurability. The fact they're an overclockers dream does have it's uses. The board I've picked has been thrashed well past any normal limit on the overclocking reviews, and retained stability to a fairly stupidly high level, so should work a treat for a standard, sane, setup.
            Last edited by MattF; 13 March 2008, 11:57.

Comment

I would love to now what the fek your all on about.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitsy View Post
                It's one of those 'boys with toys' moments.

Comment

Board and processor have turned up not long since, so guess what I'm doing this aft. Just hope I don't manage to drop on some obscure hardware/OS bug this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitsy View Post
                    LMAO

I too have no idea.

As long as it all works I couldn't care less whats going on inside me laptop!
                    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

I must admit, I thought all this dual core stuff would be some over-hype type thing, with a poxy second shunt off the odd bit of processing type thing rather than a proper second processor thing, but seems to be quite natty.

CPU0 states: 49.3% user, 0.0% nice, 11.9% system, 0.0% interrupt, 38.8% idle
                      CPU1 states: 33.3% user, 0.0% nice, 3.5% system, 0.0% interrupt, 63.2% idle

That's during a running compile , and a multi-processor kernel installed. I'm liking it already.

Btw, any of you chaps noticed how naff those mounting instructions are that come with the Intel chips? And why do the arrows show how to sodding well loosen the heatsink instead of fastening it?

Comment

One word...

NERD!!!!
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Do people still use Duel Cores?

I thought everyone would be on Quads by now
                          I Love Wales

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                            It's one of those 'boys with toys' moments.

Which toy is that???
                            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by 24Seven View Post
                              Do people still use Duel Cores?

I thought everyone would be on Quads by now
                              Ooh. Tart. Must admit, I would be intrigued to see what a quad performed like after seeing this dual in action. The budget wouldn't stretch enough for a quad though. Already skint me'sen buying the kit for this server replacement. (The new motherboard does look damned sexy).

Comment

Working...
                              X