Click Click starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click Click starting

I have a 1993, 3.0l surf and when i go to start up sometimes all i get is a clicking sound from the starter, could be once or many times and then fires up great, turns over nice and quick. Yesterday though i must have been trying to start it for about half and hour on and off with no joy only this click, then went to start up again and bang into life.
    A few weeks ago i had a problem with the alternator, which i had replaced at my garage and while it was in they charged up both batteries for me over night. When they came to check them my mechanic told me that one battery was down to about 40% and the other about 70%, after reading some of the post on the forum, do you think this may be causing the problem or is it something else.
    Any help on this would be great thanks.

could be your batterys, if not it will be your starter motor

Comment

Originally posted by mark 1 View Post
      I have a 1993, 3.0l surf and when i go to start up sometimes all i get is a clicking sound from the starter, could be once or many times and then fires up great, turns over nice and quick. Yesterday though i must have been trying to start it for about half and hour on and off with no joy only this click, then went to start up again and bang into life.
      A few weeks ago i had a problem with the alternator, which i had replaced at my garage and while it was in they charged up both batteries for me over night. When they came to check them my mechanic told me that one battery was down to about 40% and the other about 70%, after reading some of the post on the forum, do you think this may be causing the problem or is it something else.
      Any help on this would be great thanks.
      Sounds like the copper starter motor contacts have worn and need replacing.
      Strip starter motor and replace them. A search on here will give you more
      info. The starter contacts etc can be bought from your Toyota stealer for about £30
      Trust your Hound.

Comment

3.0 starter refurb kit here for £34

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=616
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

i've had a read up on the post's for the starter contacts, getting it out is a bugger but once out how hard is it to do the refurb on the starter. Apart from the starter relay, what else should i check.
          Cheers.......

Comment

I would definately say it was the starter motor contacts- buy it from Roughtrax. Once you've got starter out it is very easy and the kit comes with an exploded view anyway.
            Intersting that they list it for the 3.0 now as i was the one that informed them that it was the same parts used in the 2.4.
            You'll breeze it if you can get the starter out!

Comment

It is a doddle to change out the parts you need to replace.

getting the starter out is a pain though.
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Does it tend to do it more when the truck is already warm???
                Last edited by Karma Supra; 10 March 2008, 22:29.
                More Lift.
                More Tyres.
                More Engine.

Comment

Thanks for the info, thats great. next step is rough trax for the starter kit and i,ll take it from there.
                  Cheers.........

Comment

Just a thought mate, but before you take the starter off. Have you checked the battery terminals are all nice and tight. I had one that was a bit loose a while back and it did the same thing, sometimes it went click other times it started.

Spoggle

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                      3.0 starter refurb kit here for £34

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=616
                      Why pay £34 plus P+P when as already stated your local dealer will be cheaper
                      for the same parts. This is one of the rare occasions when Toyota dealers are cheaper for the genuine parts.

Plunger, Magnet Switch (Solenoid) Part No. 28235-17030-

Starter Kit, Motor Terminal (The bit the plunger hits and connects the starter motor) Part No. 28226-54220

Starter Kit, Battery Terminal (The other bit the plunger hits) Part No. 28226-54320

This may help http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...arter+contacts
                      Last edited by Taliesins; 11 March 2008, 12:06.
                      Trust your Hound.

Comment

Then i guess i,ll contact my local toyota dealer then, thanks for the part numbers.

Comment

Don't believe the dying battery theory mate it's seldom that easy. I paid £128.00 for 2 new batteries that didn't make one iota of difference. Forked out the £34 + vat plus p&p for the kit from Roughtrax, works out closer to £49.00 all told. Wish someone had told me about the main dealer parts a week ago when I asked the same question!

Nearly £180! All I need now is for that ba5tard chancellor to put up the road tax on 4 x 4's and I'll be really p!ssed off.

'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Working...
                          X