new springs fitted but not too impressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new springs fitted but not too impressed

went for the milners springs (20% stronger?)

job went well especially with the aid of matey's forklift and a makita 110v impact driver, what a cracking bit of kit they are and will add to xmas list!

I noticed the old springs were approx 2" longer than the new and assumed this may have been because they have lost some of their spring retention and stretched. Could this be the case?

When back on the truck does sit a little higher and there does appear to be less sag however it still sinks a bit on the drivers/fuel tank side and visually would have looked better with an extra 2" of lift.

I am wishing now that I had gone for the roughtrax ones with the extra lift and slightly longer fuel tank spring to balance the load. They were slightly more expensive but thinking this would have been justified now.

Can always swap again I suppose.

I know others on here have fitted the milners with no problems and that some recommend Landcruiser springs so would be interested with your views.

cheers

IIRC, the driver's side rear spring is meant to be longer than the other.

Comment

Yes I understood that but was assured by milners that these type were the only ones they did and were fine??

Looks like I made the wrong call but reluctant to spend another £70+ correcting it

Perhaps a message for others thinking of doing the spring replacement

Comment

If your not gonna be off roading then get the landcruiser hd j80 springs and you'll get at least 3" instant lift and won't need to swap the shocks but if you off road the truck then you'll need to get +3" shocks also
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

You may have a weak torsion bar, try tweaking the droopy side up a little. this will level it out a bit.

Milners Surf springs aren't lift spring, the truck should be at standard height, just stronger spring rates, which will give you a 'little' lift, but not much.

Maybe your old springs wern't that saggy.

I can sort you out a couple of 2" spring spacers if you want more lift.....

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by cataclysm View Post
            IIRC, the driver's side rear spring is meant to be longer than the other.
            Only the Roughtrax ones are like that, as far as I know. The OEM and Milner's springs are both same length.

Comment

Fitted the Milners 20% springs last May (I think). Lifted the back end no problem, no uneveness and no sag. Truck stood perfectly level with them on. Added 30mm coil spring spacers a few month later (as an after thought) and tweaked the front torsion bars. Truck is still sitting pretty.

'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Thanks guys

TONY

I am beggining to think the same thing about the originals although have to admit there appears to be a "little lift" and perhaps not quite as much drop under a full tank of diesel.

Interested in the spacers, preumeably need to drop axle again but where and how do they fit and do they effect handling on road or the fit of the ARB?

You lot will be talking me into a complete suspension kit soon I can see it coming!!

Incidentally a mate of a mate is doing a "Big Foot" type thing on a surf and he recons it will be the tallest road legal lift out there. Should be completed soon. Anyway he has a suspension kit in his loft from the states that he hasn't used and wants rid so will hopefully get detail and post contact details. He was talking as if it was a bit special but lost me in the detail.

Comment

got the milners stronger springs and spacers no probs with the handling on or offroading,kept my rear arb's on for a while
                  took them off in the end for better articulation
                  Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                    You may have a weak torsion bar, try tweaking the droopy side up a little. this will level it out a bit.

Milners Surf springs aren't lift spring, the truck should be at standard height, just stronger spring rates, which will give you a 'little' lift, but not much.

Maybe your old springs wern't that saggy.

I can sort you out a couple of 2" spring spacers if you want more lift.....

HAVE YOU STILL GOT SPACERS?

Comment

Working...
                    X