Ipod's, Mp3 Players & 4wd Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ipod's, Mp3 Players & 4wd Driving

Am just about to buy a Ipod or a MP3 player for the hilux & cruiser.

Have heard some reports of Large mp3's/Ipods skipping on rough roads.

Is it true or is it load of cods wallop?

Living in area of the world with a large amount of dirt corrugated roads i don't want to buy the wrong one if it is true

Am looking at a Ipod 30 or 80 gig or the 1gb shuffle

Having never owned a Mp3/ipod Ive got no idea on the thing's

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated

Cheers Matt
    Harden the Fuk Up Princess

I suppose anything with a conventional, rotating hard drive might skip, but you'll be OK with something with a solid state drive - which are becoming more common these days.

How about a car stereo with a USB socket (loads about now) and keep your MP3s on pen drives. 2GB are cheap as chips these days and will hold a few days worth of music each.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I can only speak for ipods. If you jolt them really hard they skip, but people jog with them on and don't get a problem. I have never had mine skip whilst driving.

Apache's point on a USB stick is a good one though.

Comment

Far car use only, if you get a second had ipod mini with a shot battery, they did a 4gb solid state one (only 4 gig, but that is a lot of music!!) - if you are running it through the headunit, battery life doesn't matter!
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

As mentioned, any MP3 player that uses solid state memory will not skip, no matter what you do to it.

However, I reckon you'd be better off getting a head-unit that takes SD cards. They're cheap as chips, and offer up to 8GB in SDHC format (check the head unit takes SDHC first though).
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

or just a headunit that will play .mp3s or .wmas from a DVD, I have a JVC KD-AVX 2, then it's just a handful of DVD's in the car with 4.5Gb each, think i have around 80 albums on one DVD.
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
              or just a headunit that will play .mp3s or .wmas from a DVD, I have a JVC KD-AVX 2, then it's just a handful of DVD's in the car with 4.5Gb each, think i have around 80 albums on one DVD.
              If it was just for road use, then I'd agree with you. Only thing is that DVDs are prone to skipping, and the skipping can damage the disc.
              Paul </Slugsie>
              Immortal.so far!

Comment

money no object buy a 160gb ipod classic, with a nice car stereo that links fully with the ipod this will allow for fully ipod control through the stereo.
                My dad has one in kenya and we have never managed to get it to skip and thats on some awful roads.

if money is OK I would agree with buying a cheap stereo that has a usb or sd card slot in it, they cost about 50 quid and for another 50 quid you can get upto 16gb usb /sd cards/sticks now.

If money is a big problem, you can buy a whole number of cheap options,
                a usb fm transmitter (plugs into your cig lighter about 20 quid)

a cheap 1 or 2gb usb/sd player and a car tape to earphone connection thingy for about 10 quid total.

loads of other similar options are available if you want them.

Comment

As someone was asking on my forum and I had the link handy...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONY-car-stere...QQcmdZViewItem

Something like this will go with any cheapy Sony head unit that has CD Changer control....
                  More Lift.
                  More Tyres.
                  More Engine.

Comment

Working...
                  X