No announcement yet.

talk talk broadbandings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was on Freeserve/ Wanadoo /Orange initially and then moved over to Sky, basically cheaper as SKY TV customer for the same type of connection.

Was looking to sack BT totally but Virgin state that they dont have the cable connections in our street (still analogue stuff). Pees me off as I was really wanting to stuff it to BT, especially now they have put up their admin charges for me wanting to pay by cheque instead of Direct Debit. Basically paying by Direct Debit would allow them to take any amount of money out of your account without problem if you are in dispute with them.
    Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
      im on virgin 20gb,its loverly

20 gig, blimey that is fast.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I have BT broadband for work (I work for BT) and Sky for home (16MB). When I first got the SKY I was getting 768K on a 16MB line however this was due to the cabling in the house. I had the cable re-run from the dropwire to a new point in my office avoiding all the existing wiring and any interference from low voltage lighting transformers which is a known problem area. Then re-run the extension wiring but only using the speach pair (pins 2 and 5) and not running the ring wire as this is not required when you have broadband because the ADSL filters that must be fitted on each socket with a phone plugged in regenerate the ringing themselves.

I now get between 2 1/2 MB and 3 1/2 MB depending on time of day. This is pretty good because I am 6 km cable distance from the exchange. ADSL line speed goes down a lot at this distance.

If you have a Netgear Router you can run a line quality test in the router admin. Anything over 60db attenuation is akin to wet string for ADSL. Also you want as good a Signal to Noise ratio as possible - 30db and better is good.

Comment

virgin are great, ive been using virgin/ntl for years now. we've also just got a free upgrade from 4-10mb although I hear 20mb is going to be 50mb soon!!! 50meg!
          at work we use a Demon line and Be as a backup.
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by lucky View Post
            I have BT broadband for work (I work for BT) and Sky for home (16MB). When I first got the SKY I was getting 768K on a 16MB line however this was due to the cabling in the house. I had the cable re-run from the dropwire to a new point in my office avoiding all the existing wiring and any interference from low voltage lighting transformers which is a known problem area. Then re-run the extension wiring but only using the speach pair (pins 2 and 5) and not running the ring wire as this is not required when you have broadband because the ADSL filters that must be fitted on each socket with a phone plugged in regenerate the ringing themselves.

I now get between 2 1/2 MB and 3 1/2 MB depending on time of day. This is pretty good because I am 6 km cable distance from the exchange. ADSL line speed goes down a lot at this distance.

If you have a Netgear Router you can run a line quality test in the router admin. Anything over 60db attenuation is akin to wet string for ADSL. Also you want as good a Signal to Noise ratio as possible - 30db and better is good.
            If I had to understand the detail of that post to save my life then my missus would be collecting the insurance.
            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Alot of people make the mistake with talk talk - you use BT's line and pay talk talk for the service. You still pay BT a minimum line rental through talk talk for using their line.

The proble with this is - you in directly pay two - talk talk and bt.

when you get a problem - they pass the buck.

simply - BT lines are (mainly) old copper wires underground and many of them are corroded and causing all sorts of problems in the UK.

It;s to costly to replace so unless your lucky and have a new line - you will be lumped with problem after problem.

Cable seems great but deep down, at the end of your cable connection outside - you are connected back into bts shot wiring.

The fact that you are running half cable/half bt means you only get half the problems until somebody pulls a wire out of the wrong block and doesn't know what to do with it (as we have seen many times)

Wait until TV goes digital only in UK - they are talking about selling the frequency that bbc 1,2 3 & 4 are on and using them for mobile phones and broadband.

We could all end up with 20GB broadband on our phones!!

PS - I hate cable!! hehe

don't get me on to the sky larky

Comment

Those supposed to be good too. My friend is using them and never complained really.

http://www.ukonline.net

Comment

Originally posted by konio-nt View Post
                  using them and never complained really.
                  Does that mean 'never complained about them' or 'never really complained about them in general other than the odd thing or two'?

Comment

I've been with Blueyonder/Telewest/Virgin since they first started in East Kilbride, back then we had to go to a wee portakabin thing to pay the rental! Best package at that time was 512Kb, I was invited to test the brand new superfast 1Mb service for a year for free.

Apart from a few glitches when they do upgrades and the fact they call Scotland a region, no complaints at all.

And now we're going from 4Mb to 10Mb (Notice it's a small 'b' not a capital 'B', the speed is Megabits per second, not Megabytes per second) for free, woohoo...

I remember the day when I went from a V.32bis (14.4 kbit/s) modem to a V.34 (28.8 kbit/s) modem, it felt blisteringly fast!
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
                    X