Learning to weld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning to weld

Had a chance to have a first play with my arc welder the other day, figured I'd take the chance and let you lot laugh at the results.

I'd like to point out first, that this is my first attempt at doing anything even close to welding, that I've had no instruction other than watching a couple of YouTube videos and an online chat with a mate, and that I had no-one standing over me telling me what to do.

Basically, I just spent an hour or so running welding beads. Next step is to get some more bits of scrap iron, and weld them onto my big bit of RSJ.
    Attached Files
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

good job son
    expect the welder be on later and say
    WHAT YA SAY
    hey jon??
    we all gotta start somewhere trick is finding out where somewhere is
    Enjoying Life after Cancer
    Pops

Comment

i bought a brand new welder about 3 month ago so i could learn myself how to weld.
      ive never touched it ! YET

Comment

You might find a couple of these helpful for general reference.

http://forums.bauchan.org/portal/vie...ads.php?dcid=7

Comment

I had my first try under Mark's (surfenstein) supervision .......i will be trying again
          www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

It all depends how thick the rod is and how high the welder is set and also how fast you move the welding rod along . You need to turn the metal over once welded to see how far the weld has penertrated .
            Jon will know best , but I did several different welding courses over the years for different companies . It dont take long to get the hang of , just keep trying and checking the welds as said and you will be fine .
            Why an ARC welder and not a MIG ? you want to weld thick stuff ?
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2 View Post
              It all depends how thick the rod is and how high the welder is set and also how fast you move the welding rod along . You need to turn the metal over once welded to see how far the weld has penertrated .
              Jon will know best , but I did several different welding courses over the years for different companies . It dont take long to get the hang of , just keep trying and checking the welds as said and you will be fine .
              Why an ARC welder and not a MIG ? you want to weld thick stuff ?
              At the moment, I'm using 3.2mm rods and a bit of very thick RSJ. I presume that if I'm welding thinner metal then I go for thinner rods and lower current?

As to why ARC, simple, I was given the machine for nothing. Not really got any plans to weld anything in particular, and it certainly won't be seeing any heavy use. When I'm confident, I'll probably try and knock up some sliders.
              Paul </Slugsie>
              Immortal.so far!

Comment

3.2 mm rods blimey.what you welding the titanic.as rick said crank the amps up and slow the rod speed down,and remember a 45 degree angle from the work piece.and like pops said we all have to start somewhere,im still crap at it.
                Last edited by surfenstein; 19 February 2008, 19:59.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                  3.2 mm rods blimey.what you welding the titanic.as rick said crank the amps up and slow the rod speed down,and remember a 45 degree angle from the work piece.and like pops said we all have to start somewhere,im still crap at it.
                  I'm using 3.2mm rods, because that is what my mate supplied with the welder. I can get 2.5mm easily enough too, so I'll probably pick some of them up. Any smaller, and the price seems to go through the roof. I can get 2.5kgs of 2.5 or 3.2 for just over £5 from CPC which is next door to where I work, so nice and handy.

I've been holding the rods at closer to 70 degrees, so I'll angle it more when I next get a chance.

Crank the amps up? The setting wheel on the welder suggests that I would go down for smaller rods. For instance, 3.2mm rods I'm at 120amp. But 2.5mm would be 90amp according to the dial. I don't want to go much over 120amp because the electrical supply won't be up for it. Max output on this welder is 240amp, but that'll be pulling 28amp from the supply - which is a 13amp plug with a jerry-rigged 16amp fuse.
                  Paul </Slugsie>
                  Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie View Post
                    I'm using 3.2mm rods, because that is what my mate supplied with the welder. I can get 2.5mm easily enough too, so I'll probably pick some of them up. Any smaller, and the price seems to go through the roof. I can get 2.5kgs of 2.5 or 3.2 for just over £5 from CPC which is next door to where I work, so nice and handy.

I've been holding the rods at closer to 70 degrees, so I'll angle it more when I next get a chance.

Crank the amps up? The setting wheel on the welder suggests that I would go down for smaller rods. For instance, 3.2mm rods I'm at 120amp. But 2.5mm would be 90amp according to the dial. I don't want to go much over 120amp because the electrical supply won't be up for it. Max output on this welder is 240amp, but that'll be pulling 28amp from the supply - which is a 13amp plug with a jerry-rigged 16amp fuse.
                    sorry i meant crank the amps up for thicker steel/ rods and better penetration,
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                      sorry i meant crank the amps up for thicker steel/ rods and better penetration,
                      Whew! That makes sense.
                      Paul </Slugsie>
                      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                        You might find a couple of these helpful for general reference.

http://forums.bauchan.org/portal/vie...ads.php?dcid=7
                        Cheers, I shall peruse them later.
                        Paul </Slugsie>
                        Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie View Post
                          Had a chance to have a first play with my arc welder the other day, figured I'd take the chance and let you lot laugh at the results.

I'd like to point out first, that this is my first attempt at doing anything even close to welding, that I've had no instruction other than watching a couple of YouTube videos and an online chat with a mate, and that I had no-one standing over me telling me what to do.

Basically, I just spent an hour or so running welding beads. Next step is to get some more bits of scrap iron, and weld them onto my big bit of RSJ.
                          is that old egypitian writing? jokes aside thats not bad but get youself a mig, stick welding is old hat, michael aspel material
                          JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Originally posted by lord lucan View Post
                            is that old egypitian writing? jokes aside thats not bad but get youself a mig, stick welding is old hat, michael aspel material
                            I realise that, but for the price, I can't complain.

In the long run, I'll probably do what my mate who gave me the Arc welder did. Learn the basics on this machine, and then progress to a MIG later. But then again, as I said, it's not like it's going to get a massive amount of use, so would it really be worth the investment for me? Is MIG really that much better? How? What can MIG do that ARC can't?
                            Paul </Slugsie>
                            Immortal.so far!

Comment

You do need a little more amps tho to be honest. The weld is sat more on the steel than penetrated into it.

Have you tried up-hill welding with a stick rod yet.. you will have some fun with that one
                              -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Working...
                              X