Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After a bit of advice guys

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has any advice about what to do when a garage makes a cockup and you don't trust them to have another go to fix it....

Its a little of topic as its not about my hilux, Our friend in Basingstoke has always done an excellent job... cheers mate

Its my wifes Honda Prelude...
    We had what she thought was a regular cambelt change recently and when we went to pick it up they said they had not put a new tensioner in because it didn't come with the cambelt and it was 120 beans, so they made one to save us the cost.

On the way home she said it wasn't running right but would see if it was just because it hadn't been driven for a couple of weeks, next day drove to work and it was getting worse, so called the AA out and they said it was the cam belt slipping because he could hear a wine....

Left the car at afriends house over night then called Honda to see how much a tensioner really is and they said that it doesn't have a conventional tensioner its hydraulic and doesn't ever need replacing.

So what on earth have they made out of some stuff hanging around the workshop and put in the car, and what damage could it have done??????

The problem is I don't really want to take the car back to the garage you can probably understand why, when they take a fully functioning part out of the car and replace it with something they welded together....

I am sure they probably thought they were doing some good but naively could have damaged the engine.

Any advice would be great, I am just concerned that I have to give the chance to fix it and worried what else they might do or how honest they will be about any damage.

Thanks
    Keep it greasey so it'll go down easy...

Personally, I would take it to a Honda dealer (or someone like the AA) and get them to inspect it, take photos of the inspection, report on what they find and provide a quote to fix it. I would then approach the original garage and offer them the chance to put it right or pay the cost.

Then take it from there....

Comment

They need a good kick up the arse!
      If their makeshift 'tensioner' failed completely, the belt could have jumped a few teeth, especially at high RPM and you would be looking at bent valves and piston damage.

A bit late now I know, but Symonds Yat isn't that far from me and I would have done the job for you.
      Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 18 February 2008, 18:30.

Comment

I would try to get it in writing from Honda that its hydraulic and never needs changing.... Did they mention what they did in your receipt? if not ask for a detailed one
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

It now transpires that it wasn't the actual tensioner they made it was the tool to compress it when putting the new cambelt on.

Comment

Why no take it back and give them the opportunity to put it right then if they won't or cannot you have a case for them to answer but not ever one gets it right first time round and it may just need slight adjustment!

Slightly off subject do you go Kayaking on Symonds Yat? as this is where I did some training on Symonds Yat Rapids

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
              Why no take it back and give them the opportunity to put it right then if they won't or cannot you have a case for them to answer but not ever one gets it right first time round and it may just need slight adjustment!

Slightly off subject do you go Kayaking on Symonds Yat? as this is where I did some training on Symonds Yat Rapids

Mark
              was just thinking the same thing done a weekend there on the rapids when i was sixteen ,
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by joker?? View Post
                was just thinking the same thing done a weekend there on the rapids when i was sixteen ,
                Before Christmas I was running training on the Rapids to Log hours for my BCU Level three Coach Assessment. Sweet little teaching spot for introducing beginners to white water those rapids but a long run for me though 3.5 hour drive 4 hours of intense coaching then a 3.5 hr drive home.

Mark

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys...

They now have the car and are supposed to be replacing the knackered tensioner with a new genuine Honda part.

We have decided to see if they can fix it and just draw a line under it.

Where in SW are you Bushwhacker? we are always in need of a good mechanic....

As for Symonds Yat we have only lived here under 12 months and last summer was spent renovating the old peoples home we bought (without any old people) so we got no canoeing done, personally I have never really done any white water canoeing, I used to race sprint canoes and did a fair bit of paddling at international level but that was a few years back, so I am hoping to get boat this year and enjoy the river a bit more.
                  You may already know but the rapids here are about to under go some major reconstruction, its a bit political here at the moment with a large portion of the residents against what will be an increase in canoeists and the rest of us looking forward to the development.

Anyway cheers again guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X