Spare Wheel Bike Carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare Wheel Bike Carrier

At Last! I've finally found a bolt on (lock on) spare wheel bike carrier that will fit the Surf Mk2 and will carry up to 4 bikes.

It's made by Simbars but is only available via Formula4.co.uk as Simbars won't deal with anybody other than Landrover owners (I've tried). They told me to deal with Formual4. The part that fits is actually for a Shogun Mk2-6 which is made under order for Formula 4.

I had to grind off the spare wheel support heel and then it simply fitted over the existing studs and I can even leave the bracket in place with the wheel cover fully fitted (although you have to remove the outside wheel cover to fit the carrier bars for use - a ten second job). If you wanted to keep your whole cover on whilst carying the bikes then you could make a small hole through the centre of the cover and then put a plug in it to neaten things up when you remove the carrier bars.

The carrier comes with a padlock and 4 bike supports which are a welded "V" type.

Best of all, when the bikes are loaded you can swing the gate slowly to the side with the bikes in situ in order to access the tailgate / boot in the normal fashion - although of course you will need a fair few feet clear to the side of the truck!

My largest bike is a standard (old fashioned) non-suspension 26" frame and the front wheel when fitted facing towards the centre of the road, just remains inside the car width. The distance from the centre spare wheel hub to the outside of the Mk2 is about 65cm.

Total price delivered is £ 104.85 and I dealt with Craig Bindley who was very helpful. 01785 811211 (sales). Mine was delivered next morning. You can see the Shogun model with bikes fitted on their website.

Hope this helps someone.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Blackdawg; 13 February 2008, 18:17. Reason: Added Pictures

Cheers mate I have been after something like this for a while.

I have been looking at a couple around the 70 quid mark.
    Tequilla - breakfast of heros.

Comment

Mottez do 1 that I got 4 bikes on.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hornet View Post
        Mottez do 1 that I got 4 bikes on.
        Yes, I saw that one and was tempted as is half the price although it said 3 bike carrier which put me off as I need to carry 4 however, I was after a permanent bolt on model that I could keep the spare wheel cover in place and did not have to strap the carrier down before strapping the bikes on as I was used to a tow bar bolt on from Witter with my other car. With the Simbars carrier I need only slide the carrier onto the shaft and pop the padlock through the hole, job done.

If I only wanted a three bike carrier I think I would have considered the Mottez carrier especially if you can stretch it to four because of the price differential although Simbars do do a 3 bike bolt on carrier as well which is cheaper. Suppose each of us has our different requirements. Thanks for comments though as I am sure they will help others make their choice to suit there needs.

Comment

You guys got a link to the Mottez carrier by any chance?
          Tequilla - breakfast of heros.

Comment

I got mine from this lot: http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/Fit-...saselZ26839199

Comment

• Joe Le Taxi
              Joe Le Taxi commented
              Editing a comment
              Does anyone know if this bike carrier is still available?
          Working...
          X