Tyre Choice - AT or MT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre Choice - AT or MT?

I have read through the many numerous posts here - info overload - regarding what tyre choices people have made.

I want to change my main tyres in the near future, and as far as I see have two choices. Either go for a set of A/T tyres and get a second set of wheels with M/T tyres, or get a set of M/T to start with. Some of the later tyre posts seem to suggest that the M/T are just as good on road as the A/T. (I am looking at BFG A/T or M/T).

So what do you think?

If I was to go for a second set of wheels, I would probably go for the steel wheel/ Colway tyre offer set from 4x4 Acc/s. I saw these on a Surf yesterday, and whilst I have no problem with Colway remoulds - have used them in racing with no probs - again what do you think?

As always, cheers in advance, Nick
    "The force will be with you, always!"

Its up to you, I went with BFG MT's and dont regret it at all. Did look at getting a second set of wheels for off roading but then thought do I wanna be changing four wheels when i go, quick thought on matter, nah, so BFG MT's it was.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
      Its up to you, I went with BFG MT's and dont regret it at all. Did look at getting a second set of wheels for off roading but then thought do I wanna be changing four wheels when i go, quick thought on matter, nah, so BFG MT's it was.
      You too find them o.k. on the road then, that's good. I will still be doing a lot of road miles as well. Will give Micheldevers a call for a quote then

Cheers, Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick V
        You too find them o.k. on the road then, that's good. I will still be doing a lot of road miles as well. Will give Micheldevers a call for a quote then

Cheers, Nick
        I'm going for the MTs myself following Koi's experience, even though most of my driving is Motorway stuff. The MTs that Koi has are better on the road than his ATs were.

Cheers

Comment

if you do a lot of motorway driving i'd recommend A/Ts as M/Ts i find wear out quicker has anyone else noticed this
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

I have A/T's on the Black Bullet and M/T's on the grey surf.

I think the A/T's are better on the motorway - less noise and less wear, and better handling ....

We noticed a definate difference going road tyres to M/T's in the effort the car takes to turn the M/T's - the turbo kicks in sooner on hills on the motorway to maintain speed.
            There was no noticeable difference with going road to A/T's on the other car. I guess you may therefore get better MPG with the A/T's

I'd say it depends how much off road you'll do vs. how much motorway. I would definately not want to run M/T's permanently on the Bullet as all our main road usage is on that car. I'll keep A/T's and have M/T's as a second set for extreme and wet off road meets.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Cheers for the replies. From what Linda says think I may go A/T's for now then as this is my daily drive - and now my missus prefers it to her new Pug!!! I do a fair bit of m/way stuff too.

I think I will go for a set of steel wheels with the Colway M/Ts for any off road mucky fun stuff

Cheers, Nick

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                if you do a lot of motorway driving i'd recommend A/Ts as M/Ts i find wear out quicker has anyone else noticed this
                MT's are generaly made of softer rubber compound (esp. re-moulds) and will wear more quickly on-road. But you start with 20mm tread depth and the re-moulds are dirt cheap anyway.

Nevillef

Comment

Which remoulds? Like I said the Colways have a good name so will probably go for those,

Cheers, Nick

Comment

Working...
                  X