It begins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It begins...

Anyone else done a topmount intercooler on a 3.0?

I've started cutting patterns, and lining the bits up today. The L200 intercooler is going horizontally around 10cm forward of the bulkhead, with the right hand edge on the vehicle cetreline. This makes for easiest / shortest routing of pipework. It means I only need a 250 x 200mm hole in the bonnet, under the left hand side of the trooper scoop (thanks Antshiel).

I need to get a plate with a 2" hole to fit the throttle housing welded to a short length on 2" steel pipe so I have something to fit the hose to at that end, and need to source a 180 bend in 2" hose. I might be able to make it out of the bits of mitsy hose I've got.

For the turbo to intercooler piece, one of the mitsy hoses is an absolutely perfect fit!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Originally posted by Apache View Post
    Anyone else done a topmount intercooler on a 3.0?

I've started cutting patterns, and lining the bits up today. The L200 intercooler is going horizontally around 10cm forward of the bulkhead, with the right hand edge on the vehicle cetreline. This makes for easiest / shortest routing of pipework. It means I only need a 250 x 200mm hole in the bonnet, under the left hand side of the trooper scoop (thanks Antshiel).

I need to get a plate with a 2" hole to fit the throttle housing welded to a short length on 2" steel pipe so I have something to fit the hose to at that end, and need to source a 180 bend in 2" hose. I might be able to make it out of the bits of mitsy hose I've got.

For the turbo to intercooler piece, one of the mitsy hoses is an absolutely perfect fit!
    does the bend need to be in rubber hose could it be in stainless steel??? if so let me know and i'll sort something out for you.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Please take pics and notes as you go mate pleny will want to add this cheap mod. I take t the body lift gives the extraroom required.
      Brian

Comment

You should notice a big difference mate, mine is tons better, shifting is better and low end torque is much much better. Still crap on hills though
        Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Mark, I dont think it would matter if I use a short rubber coupler at each end to take up and movement. I'll measure up tomorrow. Dont suppose you could do a plate to suit the throttle end could you (Cheeky I know, but I dont know anyone here who can weld to the standard required!)

Anyway, a stainless pipe would be brilliant!

Yoshie, will take photos as I go, just modding the Trooper scoop to fit at the mo. The bodylift does help, but once the existing 'turbo to throttle' cast pipe is removed, that *should* give enough room. I'll know more as I go along.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            Mark, I dont think it would matter if I use a short rubber coupler at each end to take up and movement. I'll measure up tomorrow. Dont suppose you could do a plate to suit the throttle end could you (Cheeky I know, but I dont know anyone here who can weld to the standard required!)Anyway, a stainless pipe would be brilliant!

Yoshie, will take photos as I go, just modding the Trooper scoop to fit at the mo. The bodylift does help, but once the existing 'turbo to throttle' cast pipe is removed, that *should* give enough room. I'll know more as I go along.
            are you taking the pi$$ outa my welding skills.i only weld things on upside down,ask joker.but yes mate let me know what you need and ill sort it for you.and the bracket.dont forget your parcel should arrive 2morrow.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

I got one of marks s/s bends on mine, brilliant long as ya stick a piece of silicon each end, is this the frist 3lt to get this mod done to it then??

they always said ya dont need it on a 3 as they have soooooooo much power anyway
              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Cheers Mark!

I've got my mate lined up to give me a hand fitting BJ spacers and the blocks for the rack on Thursday - he's got a decent sized area to work, and he's handy with the spanners.

Ian, I think there's other 3.0s out there with ICs but I think they've been front / side mounts. This might well be the first topmount 3.0!

Comment

Can you guys keep any templates etc.??? I have an intercooler from a Paj (might be the same) and REALLY want to fit that to the 3.0L.....cheers!
                  Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                    I got one of marks s/s bends on mine, brilliant long as ya stick a piece of silicon each end, is this the frist 3lt to get this mod done to it then??

they always said ya dont need it on a 3 as they have soooooooo much power anyway
                    so thats a stainless steel bend,body lift kit anything else on your truck ian thats mine.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                      so thats a stainless steel bend,body lift kit anything else on your truck ian thats mine.

the hammerite !!
                      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                        the hammerite !!
                        i thought that was on your truck gra.????
                        www.overfab.uk

Comment

I think thats it Mark, if i find anything else i'll give you a shout
                          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

i thought that was on your truck gra.????

aye mate,im going to patent it,the worlds first"organic" hammerite,its right up there with plains mud!!
                            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                              aye mate,im going to patent it,the worlds first"organic" hammerite,its right up there with plains mud!!
                              hehehehehe,dont forget to give it a warning,do not eat,in case material accidently falls in to mouth whilst working on vehicle spit it out,do not chew and swallow
                              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X