Clear All

But you won't get the squelch effect

oh and we need a working truck
    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie View Post
      But you won't get the squelch effect

oh and we need a working truck
      well you will be pleased to know that i have just bought a load of new goodies for stein???? a couple of 8 x4 sheets of ally step plate,a new engine,new rad,and loads of ancillaries
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
        well you will be pleased to know that i have just bought a load of new goodies for stein???? a couple of 8 x4 sheets of ally step plate,a new engine,new rad,and loads of ancillaries
        Oh goody when do we start
        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie View Post
          Oh goody when do we start
          i reckon as soon as we get some nice wkends.we need to weld the sides up first.and strengthen them.
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Hey Andy, bad news eh?

All vehicles hit that critical mileage/age when everything wears out one pice at a time over the course of a year, and you basically end up with a new motor with an old body on it.

I guess it's time to decide whether to let it go, or spend £3k on it, our choice, but it will happen.

Just think of all the good times, and the mileage you've put on that truck, it ain't done bad.

Go buy that LC.
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

This is beginning to sound like a land rover forum....chin up!

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
                Hello,

Coming off the M4, went to slow down at a roundabout and found I had total brake failure!

BL00DY HELL!!!!!!! Major buttock clench. Managed to limp it back to the house (only about a mile) to find the near side drum was smoking hot. Lots of water to cool it in case it went up in flames.

Just stripped it to find the drum full of diff oil - the rear bearing looks like its failed, overheated and somehow caused the brakes to go AWOL. They're working OK now but the bearing sounds real bad.

Damn, bugg3r, blast and dammit again.

Please confirm that changing the rear bearings is a major PITA kinda job.
                I'm a bit concerned that you lost all brakes just because one rear one was soaked in oil. You should still have had 3 working ones, most importantly 2 working front brakes. Kind of suggests that more than just a half shaft seal is gubbed...
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

It could be that the rear wheel cylinder was sticking on and overheated everything in the hub to the point the hub seal melted and the brake fluid boiled ?
                  I would check the wheel cylinder for seizing/sticking and also flush out the brake fluid . Once brake fluid has got hot its lost its properties. Brake fluid absorbs water from the atmosphere which lowers its boiling point , thats why its recommended to change it every 3 years . But who does ?
                  Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Buying an 'affordable' (in Surf terms) LC would mean ending up with one at least as old as the Surf thats giving grief, so unless you could dig deeper, I think you know what this means...

It's time to dig out the clippers and tongs and go for a 3rd gen.
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

andy you have gotta fix the shed.its better the devil you know than you dont.it wont cost a lot to fix the brakes and seals.once thats done you shouldnt get any other probs with the rear brakes.you could go out and buy another truck but how would you know if the rear brakes on that are shot.unless you stripped it down and inspected them.thats my logic.i keep thinking about getting another truck,with all this money im spending on the other two i could afford one,but at the end of the day i know both my trucks and i know whats wrong with them.so i just keep plugging away at them bit by bit and at the end of the day(or millenium) i might get there and have a decent truck.
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2 View Post
                        It could be that the rear wheel cylinder was sticking on and overheated everything in the hub to the point the hub seal melted and the brake fluid boiled ?
                        I would check the wheel cylinder for seizing/sticking and also flush out the brake fluid . Once brake fluid has got hot its lost its properties. Brake fluid absorbs water from the atmosphere which lowers its boiling point , thats why its recommended to change it every 3 years . But who does ?
                        Hi Rick,

I checked the brakes when they had cooled - they're working - no sign of any sticking and no sign of brake fluid squeezing out of the cylinder.

Looks like the heat came from the failed bearing but as you say cooked the fluid in the process hence no pressure. I'll change the rear bearings next week.

And yeah I'm keeping this sheddy truck - can't afford anything else.
                        Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 3 February 2008, 17:37.
                        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Best change brake fliud to be safe .Once boiled its no good mate.
                          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
                          X