Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well that scared the cr4p outta me!

Hello,

Coming off the M4, went to slow down at a roundabout and found I had total brake failure!

BL00DY HELL!!!!!!! Major buttock clench. Managed to limp it back to the house (only about a mile) to find the near side drum was smoking hot. Lots of water to cool it in case it went up in flames.

Just stripped it to find the drum full of diff oil - the rear bearing looks like its failed, overheated and somehow caused the brakes to go AWOL. They're working OK now but the bearing sounds real bad.

Damn, bugg3r, blast and dammit again.

Please confirm that changing the rear bearings is a major PITA kinda job.
    Another member of the 'A' team

there is pics around somewere on the forums

but glad your safe and allright
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Do both sides........the only shitty bit is pressing the old ones off and the new ones on ...there is a good set of instructions on the aus site .

Oh and it's a good time to replace the rear diff oil
      www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

sorry to hear about that andy.it is quite involved but only took me an afternoon,with regular tea breaks !!
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

yeah - I already have the aus stuff

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/wheelbearings.htm

just not lookng forward to it - this sheddy truck is really starting to p!ss me off. Something going wrong all the time at the mo - replaced rear prop shaft and calipers two weeks ago, all front bearings and seals a month ago blah blah blah blah blah...................zzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Thats a bugger Andy, sorry to hear that, aint got a clue how ya do em but dont they have to be heated and pressed on? afraid i did'nt take much notice of the Aus write up (till i need it) fingers crossed i never have to
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post

just not lookng forward to it - this sheddy truck is really starting to p!ss me off. Something going wrong all the time at the mo - replaced rear prop shaft and calipers two weeks ago, all front bearings and seals a month ago blah blah blah blah blah...................zzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz

Andrew i am in the same boat.....think of the suff i have had to do ,

this time as i repair one thing something breaks as i try to do it. and it's wearing me down ......I have even considered breaking it and saving up for another , BUT it's my toy and i am determind to try and get it back on the road

Oh and adreniline is brown as i found out when my vac pump went in Wales
              www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post

Flog it mate! Get a different one or something totally different!

It wouldn't take much more ££ to sell it on an get a 3.0ltr either 2nd or 3rd gen!

Thats what i'd do anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie View Post
                  Andrew i am in the same boat.....think of the suff i have had to do ,

Brown indeed.

Oh yeah, I forgot your brake failure.

I've only just managed to get the seat from outta my buttocks, so tight was the clench!

Comment

Glad to hear ya ok ya self Andy, although ya may be scarred for life now !!!

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never see it Comin !!!!
                    Buncefield Burner

Comment

Rear bearings are a bit more involved than the front but you'll manage.
                      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Should have gone back to see Bethan.

Comment

[QUOTE

Oh and adreniline is brown as i found out when my vac pump went in Wales[/QUOTE]

i dont know whos trousers were more brown,yours,mine melons or the splinters.but what an adreneline rush,can we do it again.
                          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                            [QUOTE

i dont know whos trousers were more brown,yours,mine melons or the splinters.but what an adreneline rush,can we do it again.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmmm........

Well

Ok why not ..........got some rubber undies
                            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie View Post
                              i dont know whos trousers were more brown,yours,mine melons or the splinters.but what an adreneline rush,can we do it again.

Hmmmmmm........

Well

Ok why not ..........got some rubber undies[/QUOTE]

ive got some nappies will they do.
                              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X