This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slugsie View Post
    Err, no. If you sit your car on the floor, and give it a good firm push so that it rolls off - then it moves. Now, put the paper underneath it, and pull the paper whilst at the same time providing the same amount of push as you did first time, the car will move forward.

If the only 'push' you are providing is the absolute minimum needed to overcome the friction then no, it won't move. But you aren't providing that amount of push. Just like the aircraft isn't trying to remain stationary, it is actively trying to take-off.
    so are you trying to say that there is a terminal amount of friction that the wheels produce?
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

• Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
      so are you trying to say that there is a terminal amount of friction that the wheels produce?
      Until you reach the design limitation of the bearing, then yes the friction remains relatively constant.

Are you saying that no matter how hard you push that car, it won't be able to move forward if the paper is being pulled backwards?
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

there is no force in space.
        Explain gravity, explain orbiting moons.....How does the space shuttle steer?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sancho View Post
          Well, obviously, they're all done by the hand of god. Didn't you know that?
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

lol, I was resisting starting off down that avenue........
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Well, obviously, they're all done by the hand of god. Didn't you know that?
              Actually if you refer back to your original question you'll see that you didn't state whether god was flying the plane. I have assumed he is, hence any result is possible. Including the second coming.

Comment

it steers by using tiny boosters.
                moons orbit because of gravity.
                did you not know this?
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Actually if you refer back to your original question you'll see that you didn't state whether god was flying the plane. I have assumed he is, hence any result is possible. Including the second coming.
                  regardless if god was flying the plane or not, it still would/wouldnt take off

the pilot could be made of plastic and it can still take off.
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

it steers by using tiny boosters.
                    moons orbit because of gravity.
                    did you not know this?
                    Yes, that is so, but it also directly contradicts...

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                    this is because there is no force in space
                    Paul </Slugsie>
                    Immortal.so far!

Comment

regardless if god was flying the plane or not, it still would/wouldnt take off
                      It will always take off.

the pilot could be made of plastic and it can still take off.
                      A lump of plastic is not capable of piloting an aircraft.
                      Paul </Slugsie>
                      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Yes, that is so, but it also directly contradicts...
                        the thrusters make the force lol

of course there is force from gravity on planets and stuff, but were not talking about that so why bring it up
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

It will always take off.

A lump of plastic is not capable of piloting an aircraft.
                          it doesnt matter.

if the plane still gets to its 10mph take off speed it will take off.

next you will be saying that take off speed is no where near 10mph!!
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

the thrusters make the force lol

of course there is force from gravity on planets and stuff, but were not talking about that so why bring it up
                            Because, if you're not specific, some awkward bugger will always try to pick holes in your argument.
                            Last edited by Slugsie; 12 February 2008, 13:16.
                            Paul </Slugsie>
                            Immortal.so far!

Comment

it doesnt matter.

if the plane still gets to its 10mph take off speed it will take off.

next you will be saying that take off speed is no where near 10mph!!
                              Nope, why would I say that. If the particular aircraft has a 10mph take-off speed, then that's that. If it can achieve 10mph in static air on a normal runway, then it will achieve 10mph in static air on a moving conveyor.

BTW, I mean static air, as in not moving relative to the fixed ground, OK!
                              Paul </Slugsie>
                              Immortal.so far!

Comment

Because, if you're not specific, some awkward bugger will always try to pick holes in your argument.
                                there is no arguement or question there. the fact is that if something moves in space, and the force made to make it move is removed, then that object will continue to go at exactly the same speed for an infinate ammount of time unless another force is acted upon it.
                                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                                X