auto-box oil leak ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto-box oil leak ?

Hi everyone, wondered if you could shed a bit of light on a problem for me ? last weekend i towed a horse-box ( first time i've used it for towing )about 130 miles , after an hours driving i looked in my side mirrors to see plumes of smoke billowing from under the sides . I slowed down to notice the smoke stop ! kicked down again , smoke returns . pulled over , looked underneath ,gear-box oil every where. Dipped the stick ( engine running ) bearly below the bottom notch of 'cold' level . topped up with 1/2 litre detrox III carried on home. I've since had it up on ramp but can't find a 'leak'. Also tried a stall test but reach about 3000 rpm. engine starts to overcome the brakes ? any ideas or help/advice welcome , does anyone know the stall test rpm for a 3.0 ?cheers guys & gals

Originally posted by scousy
    Hi everyone, wondered if you could shed a bit of light on a problem for me ? last weekend i towed a horse-box ( first time i've used it for towing )about 130 miles , after an hours driving i looked in my side mirrors to see plumes of smoke billowing from under the sides . I slowed down to notice the smoke stop ! kicked down again , smoke returns . pulled over , looked underneath ,gear-box oil every where. Dipped the stick ( engine running ) bearly below the bottom notch of 'cold' level . topped up with 1/2 litre detrox III carried on home. I've since had it up on ramp but can't find a 'leak'. Also tried a stall test but reach about 3000 rpm. engine starts to overcome the brakes ? any ideas or help/advice welcome , does anyone know the stall test rpm for a 3.0 ?cheers guys & gals
    I do not know about Surfs but alot of auto cars have a vacuum unit on the kick down unit which drops the gearbox down a gear when the vacuum in the inlet manifold is at the right point . When this unit perishes the autobox fluid is drawn into the engine through perished diaphram and up the vacuum pipe into the inlet manifold and burns white out the exhaust .

Rick
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
      I do not know about Surfs but alot of auto cars have a vacuum unit on the kick down unit which drops the gearbox down a gear when the vacuum in the inlet manifold is at the right point . When this unit perishes the autobox fluid is drawn into the engine through perished diaphram and up the vacuum pipe into the inlet manifold and burns white out the exhaust .

Rick
      cheers RICK , forgot to mention the smoke is not out of exhaust , but where the oil is being spat out onto the exhaust !

Comment

Working...
      X