Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf's Value After Import?

Hi guys,

Was just wondering what if any loss may be incurred during an import, say if I spend £8k with an importer? (of course some of this money is being spent on the transport, but then this would be a newer vehicle on these shores so..). Any ideas? Thanks.
    Live like ur gonna die, because ur gonna

Hi matey

I can't comment on the cut an importer would charge for his services I wonder if you could do it yourself and cut out the middle man.

The system works on a 5 star rating from pristine to not so. Most which are sent over are pretty clean and for that cash your not looking at getting an old bus with inherent head probs.

To ship a container from China costs £300s pretty good value. It costs £1500 to have a container shipped from Felixtowe to Inverness!.

I love RC models so ship everything myself now a small brushless motor costs $3.00 US but here from shops they are over £20.00s so The savings are massive.

I know it's hard on our retailers but If I was to buy all my model stuff from our retailers I'd never be able to fund the hobby.

Someone who is a font of all things import wise will be along in a minute to give proper advice.

Cheers JB
    www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

I think the cost difference between yourself and a dealer would be minimal (if anything in terms of hassle!), however of course he gets his cut.

But providing everything is good and you get a 'good one'/newer model, then it should hold it's value somewhat as it'd be pretty unavailable elsewhere over here. And some of the dealer cost you might be able to pass on to the new owner (but perhaps not). So I was just wondering if this may be the case?

Comment

i tracked my surf to were it was imported
        a firm in liverpool i did have the name some were
        its 500 quid to get in if you spend over 2 grand you get your 500 back
        mine ssrg 1993 full trim 5 years ago went has a lot of 3 ssrg's all same has mine for 7 grand (and i thought i had a bargin) at 5 and a half grand

8 grand will get you a new surf and a gto

better off looking this end first liverpool is the place mine came in but there are bigger ports to look round sure there will be web sites about too
        am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Price breakdown

These are the approx costs associated with my last import which gives some indication of the relative costs. (It was a 93 2.7 petrol with 30k on the clock.

Car Cost 635000yen £2822.22
          Shipping £600
          Total £3422
          Duty and Vat £1026
          Total £4448
          Customs clearence £50
          Docking Fee £50
          Transport (from Liverpool) £186
          Tax and Registration £149
          Chipsaway £45
          MOT £39
          Service (Approx) £100
          Conversion work £120
          Warranty Policy £180
          £5367

Prices for second UK owner Surfs are getting rediculously low. There are a lot of cars around and I am not sure I would bother with a fresh import again with the market the way it is.

Comment

Hi Dilly, - so essentially your Surf cost £5.3k, so the question would be if you sold it straight after import, what would you be asking? What part of the costs you paid would you take off (as a reduction), or would you not reduce the price at all. My thinking is for someone to get the same mileage age model etc, they likely have to import one too, so would have to pay the same or pretty similar, therfore you wouldn't have to reduce it much if at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkel View Post
              Hi Dilly, - so essentially your Surf cost £5.3k, so the question would be if you sold it straight after import, what would you be asking? What part of the costs you paid would you take off (as a reduction), or would you not reduce the price at all. My thinking is for someone to get the same mileage age model etc, they likely have to import one too, so would have to pay the same or pretty similar, therfore you wouldn't have to reduce it much if at all.
              The simple answer is I wouldn't want to sell straight away. Importing is probably the best way to get exactly what you want (I needed a low mileage car to justify the costs of an LPG conversion). The point I was making is that prices are rediculously low for cars already here in the UK and there are some real bargains out there. I dont think there is a lot of margin for anyone wanting to import for profit.

Comment

I'm sure you wouldn't want to sell, neither would I. I want to import to get the actual vehicle I want too. It was both just out of interest and supposing the financials hit the fan, and a sale was necessary (touch wood it doesn't).

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkel View Post
                  I'm sure you wouldn't want to sell, neither would I. I want to import to get the actual vehicle I want too. It was both just out of interest and supposing the financials hit the fan, and a sale was necessary (touch wood it doesn't).
                  I would say that part of it would depend on which model you get. If its a bog standard 2nd gen then your going to pay a premium because the market is already flooded with cheap examples.

If you were to hunt for a black 3rd gen with recaro seats an all the works and then make it look a million dollers! When it came to selling it, you may end up closer to your original outlay.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about the finacial risk. Lets face it, if you bought 8 grands worth of Vectra or Mondeo and had to sell for some reason the potential loss would be bigger than that you would get with the Surf.

I've seen a lot of Surfs on Jap auctions with 300 to 400K on the clock. If you get a good one and keep it a few years it will cost next to nothing per mile in depreciation. It amuses me when people go out and buy a new car that does 55mpg (cos its cheap to run) then suffer 30% or more depreciation in the first year of ownership. Also some people wouldn't consider buying a car more than 10 years old. Mine is 12 years old, probably the oldest car in the car park at work but it is amongst the best in terms of condition.

Comment

hehe It's like you read my mind with the 3rd Gen! A little bit more saving and I should be there.

Comment

Working...
                      X