No announcement yet.

front diff locker ifs 2.4 surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just ask yourself one question. Do you get stuck all of the time?

If you're serious about challenge type competition then its de-riguer I suppose, but if you go out and 90% of the time dont get stuck beyond what a mate with a strap can get you out of, lockers are just complex 'bling'.

Personally, I dont need em, and given the crazy price, would rather spend it on a really good set of tyres.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
      lockers are just complex 'bling'.
      Sums up my views.

im sure it would be awesome to have a fulled locked truck etc. but the kind of off roading we have here rarly necessitates lockers IMHO

Maybe if your in the USA doing Rock crawling but we dont have many spots like that!

Its like a SAS - I would absolutly LOVE a solid axle - but i would ridicule myself for forking out for a SAS!! I would run out of guts before my truck gets to the point where it needs a SAS, lockers an the lift an tyres!

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy View Post

i had a l;ook on their site but it does not say how much postage is to the uk without sending them an email. Anyone know the costs? how much can i expect the detroit lockers to be if the postage is less it might be the better option.
        Well its funny you should ask, coz I did and here's the reply. BTW - I totally agree with Apache - if you aint doing stuff that gets you stuck you don't need them

'''Hello

I am interested in buying a front and rear locker for a Toyota 4Runner 1992.
        I need an 8'' for the rear and a 7.5'' for the front.
        Your site says that the 8'' is for 1984 -1989. Would this one fit my truck?
        Also, how much to ship to South Wales in the UK?

Thank you for your interest in the Aussie Locker.

Your Toyota will require the XD27527 for the front locker and for the rear locker a model is required that is in production at this time. We are expecting this new locker to be in our USA stock in late February.

Cost to ship two Aussie Lockers to your South Wales address is $ 65.00 US.

So thats £140 each and £35 shipping - a bit cheaper than the UK!!!!!!
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

With general uk offroading the difference between a locked truck and non-locked truck is the speed you have to do stuff. With locker's you could approach obstacles that would leave you waving a wheel and with little or no traction on the diagonally opposite wheel far slower, as you would still have drive on any wheel with traction. Meaning a far less gun-ho approach, more time, more control and therefore less potential for damage.

When i diff lock a vehicle it will be either via an air loker, or i'll be looking into the viability of a Solid Axle Swap for an axle with a factory electric locker.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

Rod, find a 1st gen or an old pickup on eBay if you want a solid axle. Dont bother swapping the bits over, just leave it as it is. Its gonna get trashed if you're gonna get so stuck you need solid axles and lockers.

For laning in the UK, you aren't gonna need them, and I (personally) dont see the attraction of paying £50 to spend a day of driving round a fenced off 50 acres of mud.

It's about going somewhere no-one else goes, seeing things no-one else sees. I've been daydreaming whilst looking at maps of eastern europe today...

Comment

Thanks for the replys food for thought. i dont have the funds right now but when it comes to getting parts to play with just getting an idea of what i would like. still like the idea of them as driving slowly over some tracks would be safer and the look on the 'other' 4x4 owners faces would be worth it
              it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                With general uk offroading the difference between a locked truck and non-locked truck is the speed you have to do stuff. With locker's you could approach obstacles that would leave you waving a wheel and with little or no traction on the diagonally opposite wheel far slower, as you would still have drive on any wheel with traction. Meaning a far less gun-ho approach, more time, more control and therefore less potential for damage.

When i diff lock a vehicle it will be either via an air loker, or i'll be looking into the viability of a Solid Axle Swap for an axle with a factory electric locker.
                exactly my opinion nero, you can take accents at less speed which is less dangerous and more truck friendly, my truck is dedicated off road its not my dd its body lifted sus lifted on 33 muds i was just looking for more mods as you do, reguarding axle swops looked into shogun rears with factory lockers but bit complex run on air and need an ecu, might weld the front and see how my cv,s cope, sorry apache not into greenlaning looks like a sunday drive out when your bored, well what ive seen on here anyway

Comment

Originally posted by tom222 View Post
                  sorry apache not into greenlaning looks like a sunday drive out when your bored, well what ive seen on here anyway

Vive-la-difference eh?

By the comment, it sounds like you haven't done any laning? You should join us on some of the tougher west-wales ones, then maybe I'll join you driving round and round and round and round a muddy field with loads of other people doing the same...

Do you compete? I can see that being interesting, but pay and play... zzzzzz... I'd rather travel somewhere. There's a lot of fun in laning, which includes the evening barbies, the beer, the cameraderie and banter, its not just about getting the truck as muddy as possible.

I've had the go-ahead from Vicki for a Pyrenees trek next year (it's advertised in TOR) as a prequel to something bigger, maybe North Africa, though eastern europe looks interesting. Guess I'll be swapping to BFG ATs for those, which is probably anathema to you?

Comment

Vive-la-difference eh?

By the comment, it sounds like you haven't done any laning? You should join us on some of the tougher west-wales ones, then maybe I'll join you driving round and round and round and round a muddy field with loads of other people doing the same...

Do you compete? I can see that being interesting, but pay and play... zzzzzz... I'd rather travel somewhere. There's a lot of fun in laning, which includes the evening barbies, the beer, the cameraderie and banter, its not just about getting the truck as muddy as possible.

I've had the go-ahead from Vicki for a Pyrenees trek next year (it's advertised in TOR) as a prequel to something bigger, maybe North Africa, though eastern europe looks interesting. Guess I'll be swapping to BFG ATs for those, which is probably anathema to you?
                    yes i have done some laning to rescue some people that went down there on road tyres, there they was stuck 4000 rpm scaring the shit out of the horses in the opposite field, you have obviously never been on a purpose built offroad course its not set in a field, if more offroaders used these sites there would be less ammo for the antis , it seems to me that you like the views when you go lanning why not take up rambling your legs can take you further than your truck, take your tarten blanket with you, and have a nice picnic,as for axle lockers being bling were did that come from? i asked a question about lockers, i dont want to know about your pyreneees trek. ah that feels better now im of to watch the buzzcocks

Comment

Been on plenty of 'purpose built offroad courses'. Actually did some courses years ago in order to get insurance for driving offroad in some of the more remote missile ranges in the states. Its not for me. Nor are tartan blankets.
                      I stand by my statement that for MOST people, lockers are uneccessary bling. Obviously not for you if you can make use of them.

Only 9 posts in and the insults are already flying.

Get back in your box and grow up.
                      Last edited by Apache; 24 January 2008, 21:59.

Comment

Been on plenty of 'purpose built offroad courses'. Actually did some courses years ago in order to get insurance for driving offroad in some of the more remote missile ranges in the states. Its not for me. Nor are tartan blankets.
                        I stand by my statement that for MOST people, lockers are uneccessary bling. Obviously not for you if you can make use of them.

Only 9 posts in and the insults are already flying.

Get back in your box and grow up.

evening mr apache sir !!

do you have a sign near your avatar that only certain people can see that says "insult me"

i couldnt agree with you more about laning.i have given up pay and play as dull,dull,dull
                        and how on earth you could describe the route over bryncrug as a sunday drive is beyond me,it just goes to show that pay and play/competition still involve doing the "circular "
                        a bit of homework would show this but ignorance,as they say,is bliss
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Why yes! Yes I do!

I guess we all have our own preferences I guess... which is why I said 'vive le difference'.

Comment

why not take a look just above my piggy picture.......loser !!
                            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Shithead

Comment

running out of smileys......camel eyed phuq pig
                                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X