front diff locker ifs 2.4 surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front diff locker ifs 2.4 surf

does anyone know where i can get an automatic front axle locker for my surf, dont want an arb or the lsd type locker, also if anyone has one fitted i would like there comments please.

Have a chat with TonyN - or visit www.4x4toys.co.uk as his PM box is probably full....
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

You'll need a 7.5'' for the front and an 8'' for the rear (if you're fitting both).

http://www.offroadlockers.com/make.p.../5b51/20/.html

search this site for lots of arguements about them

http://www.yotatech.com/
      http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
        You'll need a 7.5'' for the front and an 8'' for the rear (if you're fitting both).

http://www.offroadlockers.com/make.p.../5b51/20/.html

search this site for lots of arguements about them

http://www.yotatech.com/
        http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/
        many thanks for that, have you used an aussie locker if so did you buy from that site?

Comment

Originally posted by tom222 View Post
          many thanks for that, have you used an aussie locker if so did you buy from that site?
          I haven't fitted lockers - yet.

Suspension lift + body lift + 33'' tyres = don't bother and save your money.

I do a fair bit of off roading. With the above mods plus thinking about what you're doing you'll have little need for lockers.

Automatic lockers (True Trac, Positrac etc) can prove a handful in certain on road conditions. ARB air lockers are better but very expensive.

Having said that if I had the dosh I would fit Aussies to my truck, front first.

Comment

Try a detriot diff locker

In my old toyota ute i fitted a Detriot diff locker to the front, simliar concept to the aussie lockers.

Detroit lockers are built a bit tougher than the aussie ones but will cost you a bit more.

Most drag cars run detriot diff lockers and very few ever break em, dont know if aussie lockers can say that

Just be aware that aussie/detroit diff lockers make a bit of a clunking noise when you turn corners thats because they disengage when turning.

A TJM / ARB Air locker is locked all the time and wont disengage till you push the off button so youve got 100% traction all the time which is ok but can be a pain in the ar$ when trying to turn on soft sand etc as the car wants to crab walk rather than turn.

Your choice for a mechanical locker is a wise one my Hilux has a air locker at the front and cant see the value in it. Would have prefered to fit a detriot locker instead.

Dont know a link for them but check em out
            cheers matt
            Harden the Fuk Up Princess

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post

Suspension lift + body lift + 33'' tyres = don't bother and save your money.
              Just to check im reading this right!

Is that - lift + tyres IS a waste of money? or If you have a lift and tyres then lockers are a waste of money?

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post

Is that - lift + tyres IS a waste of money? or If you have a lift and tyres then lockers are a waste of money?
                Highlighted for you......subtle eh?
                Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post

Yep if you have lift and 33s then what sort of off road driving god are you to need lockers as well how mental you planning on going was the question i think boyo was asking
                  Brian

Comment

Cheers guys

I guess i was a bit slow on that

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                      how mental you planning on going was the question i think boyo was asking
                      Yes - correct - I have done some muddy shyte over the last few months.

I got through Toms Farm, Rhayader in the seriously deep mud a couple of months back. I didn't get stuck, and rescued a Pajero and a Hilux pickup.

Some trick Landies watched what I was getting through, and asked what lockers/diff welding etc I had on board. When I explained there were no lockers/welded spools involved they were gobsmacked. In fact, I don't think they believed me.

So there!

Comment

you tell em tiger(v,slowly getting a weenie bit excited)
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

so if i only have a 2" spring lift and 2" body lift and run on 31" tyres would the aussi locker be worth it? I like the idea of it sounds good. i had a l;ook on their site but it does not say how much postage is to the uk without sending them an email. Anyone know the costs? how much can i expect the detroit lockers to be if the postage is less it might be the better option.
                          it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy View Post
                            so if i only have a 2" spring lift and 2" body lift and run on 31" tyres .

Why dont you upgrade to 33's mate? They are probably less money then lockers

Also, dont lockers need a compressor to work? If so thats more funds!

Comment

one here http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...threadid=41326
                              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
                              X