Proper Operating Temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Operating Temp?

Hello All, All this talk about cracked heads has got me worring! What temp should the needle point to on a 2.4 TD 92 surf? Mines just below half way(Touches the left side of the thermometer pic), stays there all the time. But whilst checking the coolant found a bit of a gunky residue. Now I've had a car with a cracked hed before and I know that the temp goes way up, but I was wondering if the temp is Ok or is it abit high pointing to a BIG prblem (and bill) in the near future fo rmy beloved Surf?
    The Car Behind Is Just Me Chillin' In The Surf!

Originally posted by bigmate
    Hello All, All this talk about cracked heads has got me worring! What temp should the needle point to on a 2.4 TD 92 surf? Mines just below half way(Touches the left side of the thermometer pic), stays there all the time. But whilst checking the coolant found a bit of a gunky residue. Now I've had a car with a cracked hed before and I know that the temp goes way up, but I was wondering if the temp is Ok or is it abit high pointing to a BIG prblem (and bill) in the near future fo rmy beloved Surf?
    the needle is in the right place but, people have reported the motor boiling over and temp gauge not rising, get the gunk out give it a good flush, refill make sure you have no airlocks and keep your fingers crossed
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

yep Every hilux I have had or driven be it a surf or pickup always seems to sit exactly where you said yours does so I would'nt worry too much ( unless you see it creep over the centre line )
      Josh

Comment

I have just obtained a 93 2.4 surf and felt it was running hot

I have flushed the system, changed the thermostat, bit still I feel the Temp is on the high side........top of Rad gurgling and almost boiling.

The temp guage only half way .

The dealer had a look and got his mechanic to check and said all was well

any comments??

Also, what is the purpose/criteria for the small electric fan ( bottom left ) I have not heard it run as yet.

Getting nervous !!

Cheers

Mark

Comment

Did the spanner monkey pressure test the cooling system? If not ask for it to be done, this should point up any head, or gasket probs. If you've changed the stat, and the water moves in the system once it's opened, which proves the water pump is working, then the only other thought is an air lock. Do the front and rear heaters run hot or cold? Just a few thoughts, see what the others come up with.
          John
          http://members.dodo.com.au/burston/drinkofbeer.gifA pint of lunatic soup please!

Comment

The official line from Toyota...................

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, you's all been great! I'll take all you've said on board, and maybe even get some sleep and not worry 'bout a big bill so much!
              The Car Behind Is Just Me Chillin' In The Surf!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark
                ......top of Rad gurgling and almost boiling.

Getting nervous !!

Mark
                So would I be, coolant is added to raise the boiling point of the water i.e. so that it doesnt boil. You must be running pretty damn hot. Gurgling inside a rad sounds like boiling to me unless somebodys snorkling inside.
                I had a 1990 Scania a year or two ago which had a coolant leak, lost the rad cap after topping up one day (always with water), but drove it without it for months. Heard boiling water from the spout after a spin a few times, eventually got leak fixed and new cap. Damn thing still going strong...

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far

I really am not sure how to proceed.........I am convinced its hot ( I am not a trained mechanic but have some common sense !! )

The guage is in the normal range, and that electric fan has not , as yet, run ( though it may be for the A/C rad ? )

I will be towing trailers with the vehicle so need to get a resolution on this soon.

Its a shame I am having to drive my LPG Range rover whilst I sort this out, though at least its a better seating position !!

Would be grateful if there are any experts in Staffordshire ( near Leek) who would be prepared to look at my problem?

Cheers

mark

Comment

Its a shame I am having to drive my LPG Range rover whilst I sort this out
                    Now thats just terrible

though at least its a better seating position !!
                    Now thats just hurtful

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                      Now thats just terrible

Now thats just hurtful

nothing wrong with surf seats
                      [size=5][/size]
                      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

I want to drive the surf !! The LPG jobby is booked into a farm dispersal sale next week........gotta sort this temperature problem out.

It is a strange seating position !! or maybe its just me

Mark

Comment

I want to drive the surf !! The LPG jobby is booked into a farm dispersal sale next week........gotta sort this temperature problem out.

It is a strange seating position !! or maybe its just me

Mark
                          probably seems like that if you've been used to the lame rover
                          [size=5][/size]

Comment

I have just obtained a 93 2.4 surf and felt it was running hot

I have flushed the system, changed the thermostat, bit still I feel the Temp is on the high side........top of Rad gurgling and almost boiling.

The temp guage only half way .

The dealer had a look and got his mechanic to check and said all was well

any comments??

Also, what is the purpose/criteria for the small electric fan ( bottom left ) I have not heard it run as yet.

Getting nervous !!

Cheers

Mark
                            Mark,
                            I would concur with Johns comments RE: airlocks etc. Is there any gurgling in the expansion bottle? If it was boiling over surely this would be the place it would come out!! For peace of mind you have to get a pressure test done on the cooling system. It's only a quick job to do,while you wait (with baited breath!!)
                            Pete

Comment

Hi All

As I said somewhere else on this site, Surf are known (I'm told) to have a prob with blocked rads, Mine would run fine until i tried towing or hills, towing uphill was right out....

Rang round three places looking for price and advice, all said 99% sure was the rad, and all said they refurb loads of surf rads, and its what leads to cracked heads, as temp guage can give incorrect reading.

Cheers
                              Dai

Comment

Working...
                              X