job offer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• job offer.

just got a little dillema.ive been offered a job working for the mod repairing tanks and other tracked vehicles.ive been offered £30,000 a year in three month contracts,at a time.i dont know wether to go for it or not.im use to having a secure job.with a company pension and other little benefits.,but what i really wanted to know.are the mod worth working for????? and those of you that do,do you enjoy what you do.???
    www.overfab.uk

Cracking job go for it. good crowd to work for as a civi and you will get looked after. 3 month contracts but once your in the door you won't have any worries.

good un.
    www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Mark is that at REME Bovington? If so I know a few people who work there.
      I Love Wales

Comment

Originally posted by 24Seven View Post
        Mark is that at REME Bovington? If so I know a few people who work there.
        yep it is matt.so what do they say about the place do they enjoy it and whats it like there.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
          yep it is matt.so what do they say about the place do they enjoy it and whats it like there.
          I think they like it, my mate Mike with the Paj who I go out offroading with has just been taken on, on the books, he was contacting there until Jan this year, which sounds like the job you have been offeried.

I few of the guys who I went offroading with when you surf guys had your Xmas trip were also from REME.

I will get Mike to look in this thread when he comes back from Wales on Monday and he maybe able to offer some advise.

This is Mike http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/member.php?u=10228
          I Love Wales

Comment

Originally posted by 24Seven View Post
            I think they like it, my mate Mike with the Paj who I go out offroading with has just been taken on, on the books, he was contacting there until Jan this year, which sounds like the job you have been offeried.

I few of the guys who I went offroading with when you surf guys had your Xmas trip were also from REME.

I will get Mike to look in this thread when he comes back from Wales on Monday and he maybe able to offer some advise.

This is Mike http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/member.php?u=10228
            ok cheers matt,much appreciated.look forward to his reply
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

To be honest Mark, as you'll be on a 3 month contract, you almost certainly WONT get the T&C that regular MOD employees get, and in the 21 years I was in, they were being eroded bit by bit, with new employees getting T&C on par with typical industry T&C. Therefore dont expect any great shakes there.

The money (and I dont know what your existing pay is, or what your expectations were) isn't particularly great for someone who would effectively be a contractor.

You need to work out what your existing pension is worth because as I say, you wont get in on the MOD scheme, and may not get anything at all so will have to sort that yourself. Sick pay, holiday pay etc will all need looking at.

If you really wanna work with tanks (could be fun!) then look at it, but look VERY CAREFULLY as the MOD really isn't as good an employer any more as Joe Public seem to think.

<edit> More about pensions - new employees (if you got in as salaried staff) are not being offered the full MOD pension any more, so it will be similar to some of the pensions available in industry these days. As I said, a MOD job is no longer a job for life, or any better than what is offered in industry.
              Last edited by Apache; 19 January 2008, 16:31.
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                Sick pay, holiday pay etc will all need looking at.
                I would say that would be the main point to think about. Being a contractor means those things won't exist. You're off for any reason, you pay the bills out of your own money. So you would need some form of insurance/cover, if you wished to cover those without having to use your own savings.

Comment

To be honest Mark, as you'll be on a 3 month contract, you almost certainly WONT get the T&C that regular MOD employees get, and in the 21 years I was in, they were being eroded bit by bit, with new employees getting T&C on par with typical industry T&C. Therefore dont expect any great shakes there.

The money (and I dont know what your existing pay is, or what your expectations were) isn't particularly great for someone who would effectively be a contractor.

You need to work out what your existing pension is worth because as I say, you wont get in on the MOD scheme, and may not get anything at all so will have to sort that yourself. Sick pay, holiday pay etc will all need looking at.

If you really wanna work with tanks (could be fun!) then look at it, but look VERY CAREFULLY as the MOD really isn't as good an employer any more as Joe Public seem to think.

<edit> More about pensions - new employees (if you got in as salaried staff) are not being offered the full MOD pension any more, so it will be similar to some of the pensions available in industry these days. As I said, a MOD job is no longer a job for life, or any better than what is offered in industry.
                  THANKS ANDY,THATS THE REPLY I WAS LOOKING FOR,as i kinda though that would be the case but didnt know for sure.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                    I would say that would be the main point to think about. Being a contractor means those things won't exist. You're off for any reason, you pay the bills out of your own money. So you would need some form of insurance/cover, if you wished to cover those without having to use your own savings.
                    cheers matt point taken.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

All I'd say Mark, is grill them for answers to the things I mention, and get them on signed paper! If you dont like the answers, or if they waffle (and the MOD are experts at that) tell them to take a hike.

Comment

All I'd say Mark, is grill them for answers to the things I mention, and get them on signed paper! If you dont like the answers, or if they waffle (and the MOD are experts at that) tell them to take a hike.
                        cheers andy will do.ive already compiled a list of questions,so i will start adding to that.
                        www.overfab.uk

Comment

or if they waffle (and the MOD are experts at that)
                          Ah, so that's where you became trained in the art then.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                            Ah, so that's where you became trained in the art then.
                            as a waffle maker.
                            www.overfab.uk

Comment

In the world of waffle, I barely made Grade 1! Some though were truly legendary.

My trouble was that my ladder wasn't up against their wall long enough to get my ducks in a row. Had I got that on my radar, I could have sung from the same hymn-sheet and rolled my expectations into a dovetailed fully synergised project-centric win-win outcome.

Its a self licking lollipop isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                              X