4wd on 3ltr - help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd on 3ltr - help please

OK - so I've noticed today that the 2.4 and the 3.0 seem to have rather different setups for 4wd, the 2,4 has a separate vacuum tank under the RHS wheel arch, the 3.0 doesn't and seems to take it from what I can only assume due to lack of knowledge, is something to do with the brakes????? The big round thing at the back of the RHS engine bay, that is common between the 2.4 and 3.0

Now - I've checked all the pipes and they are all connected, and no holes (apart from the ones at either end) but at the back of the engine bay on the 3.0 and a little further forward on the 2.4 is a small black thing that looks like a squashed cylinder. Now, the 2.4 I can trace the pipe from the alternator out to the vacuum pump, then across the engine to this little black cylinder - the 3.0 comes from what I think is a vacuum tank for the brakes and 4wd, along the engine and out at the back near the bulkhead and into this cylinder.

What I need to know from someone with a 3.0 is how the pipes are connected from into the little black cylinder that I assume the previous owner thought was the EGR as one of the pipes had been capped, so in order to reconnect and test - can anyone tell me:

What the big thing is on the RHS (from the inside so LHS as you are standing in front of the truck) and how the pipes should all run.
    What the little black cylinder is, and how the pipes should connect to this (one has a 't' joint in, so one pipe in, two pipes out)

If I can work this out, there is a chance the 4wd will be working by the end of the day, as I am still just getting lots of clicks from the relay with the engine running and the 4wd switch in on the transfer lever.

I also took the breather cap off the front diff to see if it was blocked, and disconnected, cleaned out then reconnected to cable on the front of the diff

HELP - Please - I want to go to Avon Dassett tomorrow, and then on to Wales, and other trips - but can't get the 4wd to come on........

TIA
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

No-one nearby with a 3.0 Andy? Here's a pic of mine if that helps (the bit you're talking about is the ADD I think)...

Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Hi Andy - not in Long Itchington......

I've marked up the bits I'm a little confused over - could you let me know how the pipes are connected to where I've marked 'this thing' ?

Cheers!

Comment

Nipping round the shops in a mo, so will pop the bonnet and have a look.

The 'thing' on the left is the brake servo by the way. The bit to the left of it in the pic (cylinder on its side) is the ADD (Auto disconnecting differential?)

Comment

Its chucking it down Andy, so just took some pics of the relevant areas. The proximity of the EGR could mean the previous owner made a mistake as you said I guess.

Comment

Thanks Andy - appreciate you going out and doing that in the rain - I'll have a closer look at mine, as the pipes seem to be in different places......

Comment

So - is it just mine, or do the 3.0 trucks not have a vacuum tank in the drivers side wheel arch?

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
                So - is it just mine, or do the 3.0 trucks not have a vacuum tank in the drivers side wheel arch?
                Nope, they don't.

Its just gets vacuum from the thicker pipe that goes to the brake reservour.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Good - glad I'm not missing some key part of the system

So - all the pipes seem OK, the soleniods are OK, the connections to and from the ADD and alternator are OK, the diff has oil in it, the fuses are OK, the 4wd lamp on the dask is OK (just not coming on) the diff breather is clean and not blocked, the acuator seems OK and there is 12V going where it should.

I am baffled as to where the pipes are meant to go when they come out by the bulkhead into the 'switch' next to the little black cylinder, and I appear to have two 'switches' both powered from the same cable (it has a splitter) but the other one only has one pipe connector, but no pipe connected.

And - when I drove the truck this evening, it now has a high pitch whistle sometimes under light acceleration.....

I'll post some pics up once I've got them off my phone....

Comment

Can you not get 4wd just by shifting the transfer lever?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      Can you not get 4wd just by shifting the transfer lever?
                      Haven't got that far yet, as I've been focused on getting it to work when the button is pressed.....

Comment

Nah, try the lever as Vince says, that engages it in a different way (though IANAE) and low4 is where you wanna be anyway for most proper offroading.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                          No-one nearby with a 3.0 Andy? Here's a pic of mine if that helps (the bit you're talking about is the ADD I think)...
                          Mudsurfer, probs too late to help today, but i,m only up in birmingham and work in shirley. If you want to meet up sometime to compare the plumbing i'm sure we could arrange something.

Currently not too much planned for tomorrow if that would help. In case it make's any difference mine's a 3.0L manual.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                            Nah, try the lever as Vince says, that engages it in a different way (though IANAE) and low4 is where you wanna be anyway for most proper offroading.
                            Cool - just worked out 'multi quote' now I feel like I should be selling car insurance......

So Andy - does this mean that despite the 4wd not engaging with the button pressed on the transfer lever, and the relay just going bananas, if I just stick it into Lo 4 it will work???? Hope so - then I can go and play at Avon Dassett tomorrow....

Originally posted by AndrewC View Post
                            Mudsurfer, probs too late to help today, but i,m only up in birmingham and work in shirley. If you want to meet up sometime to compare the plumbing i'm sure we could arrange something.

Currently not too much planned for tomorrow if that would help. In case it make's any difference mine's a 3.0L manual.

Andy
                            Hi Andy (2) God, we are everywhere!

Cheers for the offer - not sure if the manual system is the same as the one on the auto......and it's quite a drive in this weather - you could always come to Avon Dassett - if the thing above works, then I can have a play, then look at how your 4wd is piped and see if mine will stop playing silly buggers....

Comment

Yeah, the other lever is a mechanical engagement AFAIK. I use it for slow tricky sections anyway. I feel more in control in low 4 as any problem you need instant power for, you're right on boost at low speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X