How Deep can you go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Deep can you go

How deep can you drive in a standard 2.4 without causing the truck problems. If the river keeps rising I may need to use the truck to ferry us to and from the house. I know the air intake is behind the head light so..?

Safe level would be below the front bumper? or lower

Thanks
    Mark

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
    How deep can you drive in a standard 2.4 without causing the truck problems. If the river keeps rising I may need to use the truck to ferry us to and from the house. I know the air intake is behind the head light so..?

Thanks
    Mark

Up to the top of the bumper if the truck is at a standstill, higher if you're moving and creating a bow wave.
    There is a drain hole in the bottom of the air filter box.

Comment

Thanks
      Mark
      If you take it slowly and the water stays below the level of the lights you will be fine.

Just don't go crazy!!!
      it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        Up to the top of the bumper if the truck is at a standstill, higher if you're moving and creating a bow wave.
        ? will that not fukc the indicators in the bumper or are they water tight or designed to drain?

Cheers

Mark

LOL did spell checker and it corrected the F*** whoops

Comment

Go in slowly to start so the diffs have time to cool and not suck water in. If you go in like a dragster, the diffs cool down too fast causing a vacuum. I did it in the sea before i learn't this and ended up replacing rear axle. (it was easier than changing the diff)
          http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Lights are fine in water. Headlamps are sealed with a rubber sock on the back so ok too.

Comment

i used to turn elbow on filter around and been in some serious water [bonnet but is not advisable dont go above your lights[bottom and keep it steady
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by Antshiel View Post
                Go in slowly to start so the diffs have time to cool and not suck water in. If you go in like a dragster, the diffs cool down too fast causing a vacuum. I did it in the sea before i learn't this and ended up replacing rear axle. (it was easier than changing the diff)
                Now you need a level 2 power course....waiting for the trailer wheel bearings cool is just one of the handy hints!

Comment

Now you need a level 2 power course....waiting for the trailer wheel bearings cool is just one of the handy hints!
                  I know, i spend quite a lot of time at severn valley boats so pick little trick bits up every now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by Antshiel View Post
                    Lights are fine in water. Headlamps are sealed with a rubber sock on the back so ok too.
                    after my experience the other week i can confirm all the lights are not water proof, my indicators, headlights,spots and tail lights have water in them, mine survived over the bonnet only prob now is the poo stain on the seat and the lights still have little pools in them
                    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
                      after my experience the other week i can confirm all the lights are not water proof, my indicators, headlights,spots and tail lights have water in them, mine survived over the bonnet only prob now is the poo stain on the seat and the lights still have little pools in them
                      I am guessing that while you are moving forward all will be fine but if you stop in deep water then you may get it seeping in?

? what was the Poo stain all about

Comment

I never said they were waterproof, i merely stated they will be fine in water (they have drains in the back). Mine are in and out of the sea all summer. If you have water in your headlamps get some new rubbers as halogens don't like water too much!

Comment

yep my lights ,indicators all hold water
                          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

i think in his original post there was reference to quietly shoiting ones self !!
                            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I am guessing that while you are moving forward all will be fine but if you stop in deep water then you may get it seeping in?

? what was the Poo stain all about
                              i had gone down a road which was flooded with a very strong current running across the road, the stain was a result of my stupidity

have stopped in a river crossing in the past were the water was up to the waist line on the door, with no water ingress. when in deep water the water pressure on the doors helps seal them better, providing the seals are intact
                              Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Working...
                              X