Importing a Yank ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing a Yank ?

Ok, I've had my fair share of surfs, and was looking to purchase a newer version from Japan, but anything newer than a 2000 and there's no model reports .

Having had a few vettes in the past, I'm no stranger to a V8 and love the size/sound/power of the engine.!!!.

So, I thought why not combine my love of big engines with a 4x4 and have been looking at the 4runner options from the states. Considering the £ to the $, trucks are pretty much the same price as jap land.

I have no problem with left hand drive.....and I'm under the impression that nothing from the USA requires a model report as their safety standards are superior to most. I know that it will need ESVA, ......but I also read somewhere that any 4x4's imported into the country require a model report??. If this is the case, I'm afraid its back to the old intercoolers, but if yanks are allowed in, I can just imagine a 4.7litre V8 4RUNNER.

This is the sort of thing I mean
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...190507555&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...207444390&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...214418374&rd=1

Just as a matter of interest the 2000's on japanese auctions are hitting the £6000 mark + agents fee's/shipping (£1700)+ 10% import tax+ 17.5% VAT+ESVA+ON THE ROAD PRICE. Your looking at a good £10000-£11000 on the road.

I could get a newer version all singing dancing with a nice V8 lump for around the same price.

any ideas or advice please ???......................or are the V8's crap.!!!

cheers

Fieldsy

I Like Gen 4s

The 2uz-Fe is not a bad engine either
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

Comment

Go for it mate!!

They are awesome looking trucks, Theres quiet a few around southampton, obviously as its a popular dock for importing.

I think you'll be lucky if you manage to achieve your £10-£11,000 estimates.

Im unaware how much work will be needed for it to pass the SVA - if the electrics need a serious rejig, that could be expensive.

Either way, Id have the ££ ready an just go for it!

Have you looked at other US imports? If your prepaired to go down that route, a lot of trucks are on offer.

The FJ Crusier (one of Apaches favs)
      the Tundra
      the Tacoma etc

Comment

Thanks m8, I've seen a few posts that the V6's are to be steer cleared of, but wasn't sure about the V8's.......................... .and I do like a V8!!!

Comment

Thanks Rod,

Its just the model reports which hold the japs back. I know there are newer ones on the jap auctions, but no model reports in this country . So if I can get a yank that don't need a report............I'll be happy.

Just had a look at the tundra's and tacomas m8, and don't like the open back type to be honest, and I think the cruiser looks like a lego toy lol

think I'll stick with the 4runner, but thanks for the options
          Last edited by Fieldsy; 17 January 2008, 18:18.

Comment

Nice looking trucks. I like the leather seats.

Jacqueline

Comment

Driving back to the factory yesterday and saw an FJ Cruiser parked up in the next village - look quite cool in the flesh
              Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                Go for it mate!!

They are awesome looking trucks, Theres quiet a few around southampton, obviously as its a popular dock for importing.

I think you'll be lucky if you manage to achieve your £10-£11,000 estimates.

Im unaware how much work will be needed for it to pass the SVA - if the electrics need a serious rejig, that could be expensive.

Either way, Id have the ££ ready an just go for it!

Have you looked at other US imports? If your prepaired to go down that route, a lot of trucks are on offer.

The FJ Crusier (one of Apaches favs)
                the Tundra
                the Tacoma etc
                Saw a tacoma @ Mildenhall the other day. A V8! looked crap without a lift & spacers. I wonder if it's worth looking at buying from US service personnel?
                Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Would have thought that the lights etc would have had to be altered (different lenses plus fog lights). Maybe good to talk to a yank import shop on the web about the model reports?????
                  Gaz

Comment

Go for a Nissan Titan all the way!! AWESOME

Comment

Imported a Dodge Ram 4 years ago. Really easy. No problems at all. You might like to look at the following web site.
                      http://www.import-car.info/index.shtml
                      It was all there was at the time but nontheless absolutely invaluable. At least an SUV is only subject to 10% import tax. The truck was 22.5 %, which still made it much cheaper than buying over here even adding, shipping, SVA test and VAT. It was also much cheaper to arrange shipping from the US -$1000
                      (1.6$ to the £ at the time) as opposed to £1200 from this end. Mildenhall Auto Centre were excellent for the SVA , from memory about £270 (Matt's left, but now works on his own. Happy to email number if needed)
                      Buying from the base I believe still involves Import tax, but at least you havn,t had to ship it !! I had no luck, thats why I imported my own, ebay as it happens.
                      Lastly, have you looked at a Dodge Durango ?? Similar to the new 4runner in looks and her indoors has crazed for one ever since the Ram arrived. But two guzzlers ! I don't think so.
                      Hope some of that helps.
                      Cheers Harry

Comment

Working...
                      X