Diff Breather Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff Breather Question

Is there a way to fashion my own diff breather kit? If there is what would i need? I have a basic idea of how they work but could do with more knowledge about whether i can use existing breather with the cap off, and whre the breathers are on the other 2 diffs. Also where to mount the top i.e the filtered tip of the extended piece. Or would i be better to buy a kit?

Drumclog is coming up so i wana be ready for water, particularly as scotland is very wet just now.

Cheers guys
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Some long rubber hose and small Jubilee clips.

I have a plan to install a non-return valve instead of long breather pipes, but haven't got around to it yet (too much work on at the moment). Will post when it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by cataclysm View Post
      Some long rubber hose and small Jubilee clips.

I have a plan to install a non-return valve instead of long breather pipes, but haven't got around to it yet (too much work on at the moment). Will post when it happens.

Wouldnt that cause a problem when the air contracts when it gets cold and cant suck it in? Just a thought, and the rubber hose was a thought of mine and im glad someones confirmed it, ta mate.
      Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

I made my own up using:-

one of these as the filter, cable tied up near the brake reservoir somewhere

i have 1/8 BSP - push fit fittings replacing the original breathers, on the rear diff i have used a 90' elbow, and on the front i used a Tee. So the rear diff one runs across the axle, up the trailing arm, along the chassis rail, then round the sump to the front diff fitting. The front one just runs up through the engine bay avoiding the exhaust to the filter.

I think it's 6mm OD pipe i used to connect everything up.

It all seems to be working ok
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

I have seen people run the breathers from the rear diff into the cabin, with a fuel filter on the end... Might be a silly question... but doesn't this smell in the cabin???

Edit, That was quick I asked a question and the answer was there before I finished!
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

I got some fittings there will be some info on the type somewhere on here. And a plastic pipe to the engine bay with some filters on the end. The kit was 20 from eBay. The rear is a straight and the front is a 90 bend with the push in type connectors.

Might be a silly question but if you fit a non return valve how will the air get back in to the diff when it cools??

Comment

Yeah it will smell the diff oil has a strong smell horrible!!

Comment

thanks mate thats a good idea, a t-piece for both to end up in engine bay, cool cheers
                Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner View Post
                  Wouldnt that cause a problem when the air contracts when it gets cold and cant suck it in? Just a thought, and the rubber hose was a thought of mine and im glad someones confirmed it, ta mate.
                  Shouldn't be too much of a problem... max of 14 PSI incoming -- shouldn't blow the seals. Plus the lower pressure would cause more vapourisation of the oil.
                  I'll do a write-up when I get around to it, so you'll know if I knacker the diffs!

Comment

i used arco's tubing to make mine £10.50 for a roll if i remember right
                    (the clear reinforced stuff)

Comment

Techsite link:

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/diffbreathers.htm

Comment

I shamelessly copied the Aussie link above - cost = zero (mate in a factory)..

The kit = 2 off

The front

Positioned

The rear I copied except left the filter between the body and the cubby to avoid any potential smells - never smelt it anyway.
                        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

you need to talk to Gupster on here he made up some kits, might still have some, PM him
                          Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                          Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires View Post
                            you need to talk to Gupster on here he made up some kits, might still have some, PM him
                            bought mine from gupster still aint fitted them yet lol
                            Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by joker?? View Post
                              bought mine from gupster still aint fitted them yet lol
                              same as me, still in the bag!
                              Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X