bit odd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bit odd

yesterday I stopped in a car park and realised that I may have been a touch too optimistic with my spot and went to start it to move and it really stuggled to turn over, I tried twice and thought I would leave it and try when I got back, the whole time in the shop thinking all sorts of nightmare things. But when I returned she fired up like nothing was wrong. Think the old girl was just trying to keep me on my toes.
    Any ideas?
    Josh

Could be a sticky starter motor. Carry a rubber mallet and if it does it again give the casing a whack which may free it up. Also check your battery connections.
    '94 3.0TD SSR-G Limited Green over Silver, mmmmmmmmmm!

Comment

Originally posted by Josh
      yesterday I stopped in a car park and realised that I may have been a touch too optimistic with my spot and went to start it to move and it really stuggled to turn over, I tried twice and thought I would leave it and try when I got back, the whole time in the shop thinking all sorts of nightmare things. But when I returned she fired up like nothing was wrong. Think the old girl was just trying to keep me on my toes.
      Any ideas?
      Josh
      Probably your immobiliser trying to scare you...
      I never ever apologise for anything. http://www.onestopshopformultimedia.com/smile.gif If you dont like it I am sorry but thats the way I am

Comment

sounds to me like either a loose connection (battery or earth),solenoid contacts starting to go (arcing) or one sticking brush in the starter motor, which means only 1/2 power although it will seem like even less and be real groggy. a smack with a hammer can work wonders! brushes usualy stick when well worn down as the spring behind them runs out of travel.
        jim.b.

1990 SSR LTD 2LTE auto
        1985 SR V8 4.4 litre manual

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi-jim
          sounds to me like either a loose connection (battery or earth),solenoid contacts starting to go (arcing) or one sticking brush in the starter motor, which means only 1/2 power although it will seem like even less and be real groggy. a smack with a hammer can work wonders! brushes usualy stick when well worn down as the spring behind them runs out of travel.
          I'd concur with that, alternative could be your battery starting to break down when warm, when cool it works OK.

Cheers

Comment

i used to have the same problem, both batteries were replaced and it has been faultless ever since.
            [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

my car had the opposite problem.... solenoid didn't disengage and kept turning the starter!.... bit embarrassing in car parks!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

on an old car i had it lost the earth strap to the gearbox and it would not start for love or money replaced the strap and it was fine
                so much to do , so little money , so little time

Comment

Working...
                X