prospective buyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prospective buyers

Hi all you surfing nutters - help needed by a boring old fart !1 What a super web site and forum. Looking to buy a Surf and although the SSR G seems to be the all singing all dancing version, is there much difference between that and the 'X' ? I've seen X's that seem to be fairly well equipped even to the hidden mirror in the spoiler over the tail gate.

The other very important question, what can we realistically expect to get to the gallon? You won't frighten us as we've owned long wheel base station wagon Land Rovers and currently run a Dodge Ram pick-up. The Surf however is the replace a 50mpg diesel VW Passat and we don't know if we can afford to run 2 gas guzzlers, even if we can write some of it off to the business. No one knows what the government has up their sleeves apropos the fuel prices. I'm guessing that road tax is reasonably safe on a P reg which is what we are looking for. Any help, suggestions, will be gratefully received.

Signed Confooosed of Norfolk aka Harry

hi harry,to answer your first question,there is a lot of difference in the specs as you will find that the japanese love their toys so the options book is a free for all when it comes to buying a new truck.so most trucks have different bits and pieces on them and its very hard to say what comes with what.
    secondly it depends on what engine you go for in a truck.as to the mpg,on a 3ltr intercooled look for around 25-30 mpg depending on how hard you drive it.
    oh and welcome to the surf emporium of pleasure.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Welcome to the nuthouse Harry,

There won't be much difference between an X and a G spec as the japs love hitting the options list

A hairdresser special (P reg 3rd Gen) should give around 30mpg depending on the weight of your right boot.

You can reduce your fuel bills by means of the veg

Oh and beware the Yeti !!!

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Dont get too hung up on the different models. The SSR-G is indeed the bells and whistles one but by the time tojo added his options it gets very grey and misty. youll find lower spec models with most if not all the SSR-G options. What you really need to do is find one you like, with the toys that you actually like or think you need. I think the LSD was standard on the SSR-G and optional on others. Youll see SSR-X with Sunroofs , which seemed to be an option on them all. Its not even standard on the SSR-G.

MPG for mine, which has the intercooler averages around 27-28. I get something around 32-33 on the motorway and thats driving slightly to the left of the law. Road tax should be safe on a P reg. Mines an N and is safe for now at any rate.

Bogus
        Сви можемо

Comment

Hi Harry,
          Welcome to the jungle...

As far as the specs go SSRG should be the highest, but mr japman buying a new car likes his toys so adds as many options as he can afford. So in reality you can find anything on a SSRG on lower spec models aswell. The only thing to note really is that on the 3rd gens (96 on) the recaro interior is said not to be very comfortable, so if you're looking at one with recaros just make sure you are happy with the seats.

Realistic fuel economy on a 3rd gen 3.0 diesel 28-32 mpg at a guess, but i'm only a lowly 2.4 owner. Slightly higher for an intercooled model if you drive it like an old fart maybe?
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

Welcome mate whatever spec you end up with the 3.0 is a great to drive and a real work horse when needed.
            Last edited by yoshie; 12 January 2008, 15:57.
            Brian

Comment

Harry,

As discussed here's the heater I have in Hippo

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                They work as i have one as well
                have a look at codlord buying guide here........http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm

BTW
                Welcome to the nut house......... just watch out for the squirrel
                www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
                  just watch out for the squirrel
                  He's already spoken to me

By the way what's your thoughts on the shaggy's mishap - IOTY or IOTW ?

Trev

Comment

He's already spoken to me

By the way what's your thoughts on the shaggy's mishap - IOTY or IOTW ?

Trev
                    IOTY......if there is a witness
                    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Nothings been mentioned about a witness

By the way seen my suggestion that you and the 50 quid special should give Karma and Meooo a tour of the plain

Comment

Nothings been mentioned about a witness

By the way seen my suggestion that you and the 50 quid special should give Karma and Meooo a tour of the plain
                        That could be arranged when i have a working truck.........will have to invite breakdown as well
                        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
                          That could be arranged when i have a working truck.........will have to invite breakdown as well
                          via 3 graves ?

Comment

via 3 graves ?
                            Not without a winch and a first gen
                            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Working...
                            X