Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first real question

i have a 1991 2.4 TD ssr LTD,

the back window sticks when you try to move it up and down and when you lift the tail gate back up ( and only when you lift it back not when its down ! ) water ####es out from it ?

You're not making sense mate. But that might be myt ears.

Give it a hand with yoiur hand, thats what I do.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Take the carpet panel off the tailgate, it just pops off as it's on trim clip type things. Then there's a metal panel behind it, you'll have to unscrew. Behind that there's the normal plastic sheet stuck on with mastic type stuff that get's everywhere and sticks to anything.

Take all this off and have a look at the mechanism if it looks in good nick, and it's not suffering from corrosion just give it a good grease up to protect it. Spray on white grease is what i would use. If it's sticking it could be that the motors on it's way out, but it can be repaired/replaced or just switch it with a passenger side door motor.

There's plenty of info on the motor and repair on here.

The reason the water is getting in will be that the window rubber is knackered, you could replace it if you can find a good one to replace it with. But personally i just removed the drain bungs from the bottom of the tailgate, so the water drains out rather than sitting inside the tailgate. I guess eventually the tailgate will rust through anyway coz it won't be fully draining, but i'd rather have a little water sitting in the bottom of the tailgate, than have the tailgate half full with water after any heavy rain.
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
        Take the carpet panel off the tailgate, it just pops off as it's on trim clip type things. Then there's a metal panel behind it, you'll have to unscrew. Behind that there's the normal plastic sheet stuck on with mastic type stuff that get's everywhere and sticks to anything.

Take all this off and have a look at the mechanism if it looks in good nick, and it's not suffering from corrosion just give it a good grease up to protect it. Spray on white grease is what i would use. If it's sticking it could be that the motors on it's way out, but it can be repaired/replaced or just switch it with a passenger side door motor.

There's plenty of info on the motor and repair on here.

The reason the water is getting in will be that the window rubber is knackered, you could replace it if you can find a good one to replace it with. But personally i just removed the drain bungs from the bottom of the tailgate, so the water drains out rather than sitting inside the tailgate. I guess eventually the tailgate will rust through anyway coz it won't be fully draining, but i'd rather have a little water sitting in the bottom of the tailgate, than have the tailgate half full with water after any heavy rain.
        champion mate ill have a look,

Comment

Working...
        X