stone masons (health and safety)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stone masons (health and safety)

health and safety have been round the cemetary and deemed the headstone on dads there is unsafe.
    it was done a few years ago. and she started quoting me prices to have it fixed.
    am i right in thinking its down to the people that did the stone in the first place?
    bl00dy rude woman as well
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

So long as the regulations haven't changed and there's been no damage to it since it was erected, then it should be up to the people who installed it originally.

I wouldn't hold my breath though.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Hey, this is no joke! Do you know how many people were injured by unstable memorial stones last year?

2.5!!! Yes, 2.5 people were injured by gravestones last year!!!

Our local council wrapped gravestones in our local churches in black and yellow stripey tape, and hammered wooden stakes in to secure them to a couple of years back. Tantamount to bl00dy vandalism! Its H&S gone completely mad!

I wonder how many of the 2.5 injured people were vandalising gravestones? If you're fiddling around with someones' headstone enough for it to fall on you, then you were obviously up to no good and deserve what happens. Tell them to f*ck off, and if they touch it, sue them for criminal damage!
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
        Hey, this is no joke! Do you know how many people were injured by unstable memorial stones last year?

2.5!!! Yes, 2.5 people were injured by gravestones last year!!!

Our local council wrapped gravestones in our local churches in black and yellow stripey tape, and hammered wooden stakes in to secure them to a couple of years back. Tantamount to bl00dy vandalism! Its H&S gone completely mad!

I wonder how many of the 2.5 injured people were vandalising gravestones? If you're fiddling around with someones' headstone enough for it to fall on you, then you were obviously up to no good and deserve what happens. Tell them to f*ck off, and if they touch it, sue them for criminal damage!
        lol
        i would like to interview that 0.5 of a person to find out some more.
        suppose it is our property but what if a gardener was minding his own business, doing a bit of weeding (removing unwanted plants, not removing sickers from freshly cut vinyl. before then applying them to the backing ready to be sent in t' post) and then the headstone fell..
        i might have to go up there and give it my own H&S checkover (probably see it wiggles)
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
          health and safety have been round the cemetary and deemed the headstone on dads there is unsafe.
          it was done a few years ago. and she started quoting me prices to have it fixed.
          am i right in thinking its down to the people that did the stone in the first place?
          bl00dy rude woman as well
          As it's your Dad's headstone why don't you suggest that they take it up with him. After all they know where he lives!!!!!
          Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

ok, seriously pi$$ed off about that one.

Ive had to endure a dinner party with health and saftey executives.

The kinds of people that put labels on there pants saying "warning may contain nuts" there all fluckin useless!!!

An talking about your dads headstone is over the flucking line!!

Your pretty young right? My world would collapse if i lost my dad... Id have knocked her damn head off!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Piker
              As it's your Dad's headstone why don't you suggest that they take it up with him. After all they know where he lives!!!!!
              im sorry but thats not even funny lol
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
                ok, seriously pi$$ed off about that one.

Ive had to endure a dinner party with health and saftey executives.

The kinds of people that put labels on there pants saying "warning may contain nuts" there all fluckin useless!!!
                i know the sort!
                they are all the same. they got to keep themselfes in a job though havnt they!
                they wont let kids pick conkers from trees any more either.

one of them was talking on the stairs with some people at my last job and i had a pc and was about to go down stairs. he was prepared to physically stop me going down the stairs because i didnt have a hand free to hold the hand rail.
                i threw the pc under 1 arm and held the hand rail because if i didnt, he can file a report and earn £20 from the company, and then i get a tellin off.

back in the old days, there used to be children working inside industrial machines fixing them while they were still being used!
                they used to get up at 4am, half hour before they went to sleep and be beaten to death before work etc etc.. lol
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

im going to get a call back on thursday apparently
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

we had the yellow / black tape brigade at our local cemertary, the locals told them 'if you had filled the holes correctly there would be no subsidence, I would suggest a small tasefull note attached to the headstone saying 'keep clear, stone liable to fall because hole incorrectly back filled'!
                    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                    Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                      we had the yellow / black tape brigade at our local cemertary, the locals told them 'if you had filled the holes correctly there would be no subsidence, I would suggest a small tasefull note attached to the headstone saying 'keep clear, stone liable to fall because hole incorrectly back filled'!
                      who am i saying this to? the people that dig the graves or the council when they made the cemetary in the first place?
                      thanks for your advice mate
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

There is a huge amount of good that has come out of the HSE. We should never be in any doubt about that. It has however developed into a bit of a Taleban organisation. I can see the day coming where you will not be allowed to cross the road unless you can show a risk assesment. You all do a mental one anyway but how long before you have to have it in writing and duly recorded somewhere.
                        I think we are creeping toward the point where we all have either a safety officer cum policeman in the corner of our living room to make sure we dont do anything illegal or unsafe, or maybe cameras instead so that you can be watched even more.
                        The whole " safety reasons" thing has also become a cop out for just about everything. How many times have you been told that something cant be done for "safety reasons" when you know its just bullshit. Everyones an expert these days and lets face it, its not hard to make up a "safety reason" for not doing something.
                        When I were a lad living in a paper bag in the middle of t road and eating gravel with sulphuric acid for breakfast and getting up in the middle of the night 2 hours before we went to bed etc etc, we had a thing called "common sense" Who stole it from us ???

Bogus ( feel a whole lot better for that )
                        Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
                          who am i saying this to? the people that dig the graves or the council when they made the cemetary in the first place?
                          thanks for your advice mate
                          most grave diggers (if they can still be called that) are local government employees, if your fathers headstone is moving then that would imply that ground movement has taken place within the plot, therefore it would be likely that the diggers have a duty of care to the public to ensure that subsidence does not cause a hazard to the visitors to the cemetary - you included. It follows therefore if a duty of care has not been met by the cemetary staff..groundkeepers/gardeners/grave diggers/burial operatives and in turn the superintendant then it should be them that rectifies the situation, that is if the memorial was installed correctly. Whatever, I believe the liabillity is between the masons and the local authority as you did not supply or fit the memorial and the ground into or onto is was installed is not under your control.
                          If they get shi**y ask them for a copy of their risk assesment and causes of the problem. I dont wish to be insesitive but you can hardly be held responsible for what happens underground and the superintendant should by training and experiance be aware and take the neccessary control measures.
                          p.s.I do hold a diploma in heath & safety.
                          Tony

Comment

the local council up here have cordended off hundreds of headstones and hold the relatives responsible and if nothing is done then they will remove the stone, they blame the subsidence on the decomposing of the coffin ie a 6 foot by 3 foot by 2 foot void 6 foot down
                            Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper
                              the local council up here have cordended off hundreds of headstones and hold the relatives responsible and if nothing is done then they will remove the stone, they blame the subsidence on the decomposing of the coffin ie a 6 foot by 3 foot by 2 foot void 6 foot down
                              That is exactly the point I was making as they (the cemetry management) know that there is likely to be settlement, they should 'top up' the graves and compact the ground, the relatives are not allowed to do so therefore it is the council and their servants who are failing in their duty of care. I would love to see their arguments on that one
                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X