Hub Studs and wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hub Studs and wheel bearings

Looks like one of my front wheel bearings has gone again, it's been making a grinding noise since just after Christmas, and there is a bit of play when I rock the tyre top/bottom. I'm going to try tightening it up first, but it'll probably need replacing. Wish DiffLock would get round to sending me that 54mm hub box spanner I ordered before Christmas.

On a related note, I managed to snap the head off one of the Hub Studs (the ones with the cone washers). I notice that Roughtrax sell replacement ones, but how do you get them out? Do they just screw out? If so, I take it they have a lefthanded thread? There is still about 1cm of the head poking out from the hub with the cap off, so with a bit of flattening off with a file I may be able to get a spanner/wrench on it. Just wanting to check before I completely bugger it up.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Originally posted by Slugsie
    Looks like one of my front wheel bearings has gone again, it's been making a grinding noise since just after Christmas, and there is a bit of play when I rock the tyre top/bottom. I'm going to try tightening it up first, but it'll probably need replacing. Wish DiffLock would get round to sending me that 54mm hub box spanner I ordered before Christmas.

On a related note, I managed to snap the head off one of the Hub Studs (the ones with the cone washers). I notice that Roughtrax sell replacement ones, but how do you get them out? Do they just screw out? If so, I take it they have a lefthanded thread? There is still about 1cm of the head poking out from the hub with the cap off, so with a bit of flattening off with a file I may be able to get a spanner/wrench on it. Just wanting to check before I completely bugger it up.
    it will have a right hand thread just pinch it with a pair of mole grips and turn.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
    X