Prep for Drumclog, What do i need???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prep for Drumclog, What do i need???

1st proper offroad event for me, any absolute musts i need to take?
    Without Surf And Unhappy

The Surf!

Seriously though apart from all the gear the true off roaders carry take some simple things like seat covers and some old floor mats, I know you handed in your 'Shiny Club' resignation but those two items save the interior from a lot of mud and dirt.

Last edited by Scorpion; 31 December 2007, 18:02.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

tow straps

and a landy to pull you out
      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Spade
        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

@ joker?? i hope you mean landcruiser
          Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner
            @ joker?? i hope you mean landcruiser

no carl i meant landrover
            nothing more humiliating than being pulled out of the muck with something wearing a green oval badge on it

btw have a good one

Comment

Apart from the obvious stuff like jack, tow-straps:
              Fuel filter
              Gaffa tape, wire
              Spare Nuts and bolts common sizes.
              Spanners, pliers, hammer.
              Spare fuses and bulbs.
              Rad-repair stuff
              Water min. 5litre, rags.
              And for a weekend trip- I`d take a spare CV axle drive-shaft, spare water hoses and enough diff and engine oil for a refill.

Oh, and looking at the pic. of your truck- some blocks of wood for the jack!
              Last edited by chrisinflight; 31 December 2007, 19:52.
              Powered by Toyota!

Comment

Take. Bravery Pills
                Leave behind. Fear
                www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

If ya do as Captain Chaos does n get Stuck.... a change o' clothes or at least trousers .....Hey Jason was ya a boy scout ?
                  Be Prepared Fellas !! But have Fun ....
                  I always got wood wiv me ....came in v v handy ask Mudsurfer n the Master Tony at RTTS 07

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never see it Comin !!!!
                  Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 31 December 2007, 20:16.
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

Mate don't go overboard.

Basic toolkit.

Oil if you want, but unless you're carrying a spare filter, or sump, or planning on rolling or fancy doing a service during the weekend i wouldn't bother to take anymore than you'd normally carry in the truck. The only reason you should lose any more than normal is if you crack something or turn your engine upside down, then it's gonna need more than just topping up anyway.

Water - yes at least a 5 litre can, for the journey home coz no matter how much cleaning you do before you leave your rad will still be full of mud, allow more time to get home, I rarely get over 55 without the temperature gauge starting to creep on the way home from a offroad day until i've had a proper wash down.

Jack & half a scafboard makes a good base to use a jack in the mud too. Spare wheel, check that it's ok before you leave too.

Warm clothes and a change of clothes too and footwear.

Recovery rope or strop if you fancy buying one too, if you offroad regular you start to get to know what kit to take, normally learnin from mistakes. If you buy recovery stuff don't skimp on it, 2 tonne SWL lifting strops make great recovery strops, easy to handle even when they're cold wet and muddy and they're upto the job. 7tonne MBS strops as sold by DAMAR webbing products on ebay, i wouldn't use, whatever they say they are only actually rated to 1 tonne SWL but as with all lifting slings they are rated with a 7:1 safety factor to allow for manufacturing defects and so on why risk your safety margins to save a few pence?

If you're going with a group make sure they have some recovery kit and stick with them, and have a look at the kit they've got as it'll give you an idea of what sort of stuff you need to look at getting. Most groups are pretty welcoming to newbies and don't expect you to turn up on your first trip fully kitted up, if it gets to your 6th trip out with them though and your still not looking at getting any of your own gear they might start to get cheesed off.

And if you haven't already - join the RAC/AA then if the worst comes to the worst you only gotta get dragged to the nearest road and have a journey home on a flatbed.

Lastly - enjoy have fun and don't be pressured into tackling something you don't fancy.
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                      Mate don't go overboard.

Basic toolkit.

Oil if you want, but unless you're carrying a spare filter, or sump, or planning on rolling or fancy doing a service during the weekend i wouldn't bother to take anymore than you'd normally carry in the truck. The only reason you should lose any more than normal is if you crack something or turn your engine upside down, then it's gonna need more than just topping up anyway.

Water - yes at least a 5 litre can, for the journey home coz no matter how much cleaning you do before you leave your rad will still be full of mud, allow more time to get home, I rarely get over 55 without the temperature gauge starting to creep on the way home from a offroad day until i've had a proper wash down.

Jack & half a scafboard makes a good base to use a jack in the mud too. Spare wheel, check that it's ok before you leave too.

Warm clothes and a change of clothes too and footwear.

Recovery rope or strop if you fancy buying one too, if you offroad regular you start to get to know what kit to take, normally learnin from mistakes. If you buy recovery stuff don't skimp on it, 2 tonne SWL lifting strops make great recovery strops, easy to handle even when they're cold wet and muddy and they're upto the job. 7tonne MBS strops as sold by DAMAR webbing products on ebay, i wouldn't use, whatever they say they are only actually rated to 1 tonne SWL but as with all lifting slings they are rated with a 7:1 safety factor to allow for manufacturing defects and so on why risk your safety margins to save a few pence?

If you're going with a group make sure they have some recovery kit and stick with them, and have a look at the kit they've got as it'll give you an idea of what sort of stuff you need to look at getting. Most groups are pretty welcoming to newbies and don't expect you to turn up on your first trip fully kitted up, if it gets to your 6th trip out with them though and your still not looking at getting any of your own gear they might start to get cheesed off.

And if you haven't already - join the RAC/AA then if the worst comes to the worst you only gotta get dragged to the nearest road and have a journey home on a flatbed.

Lastly - enjoy have fun and don't be pressured into tackling something you don't fancy.
                      bet he wont make it across that mud

Comment

Thanks guys, thats good advice, im probably gonna be taggin along wiv smiffy so ill be able to get a list of stuff and ideas for what i dont already have. Most of the stuff listed i already have. Im only goin to do a tame to middling run, until i gain experience and faith in my trucks abilities.

Will let yous all know how it goes when it goes. I will also be careful not to be dared to do anything as im always up for a challenge and fall foul of biting off too much

Chars
                        Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Plenty fuel
                          I Almost ran out last time
                          see you there
                          Scottish mud club

Comment

Originally posted by martyrsvr
                            Plenty fuel
                            I Almost ran out last time
                            see you there
                            I will be carrying 2x 20 litre veg oil drums and 4 litres of unleaded as thats what my mix is wiv my veg conversions so will have 100 litres in total. Should be enough. Got to do 85 miles before i even get there.

Look forward to it buddy
                            Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner
                              I will also be careful not to be dared to do anything as im always up for a challenge and fall foul of biting off too much
                              It's a easy trap to fall into, and i know too many people who have fallen foul to a bit of misplaced 'encouragement'
                              =========
                              =SOLD UP!=
                              =========

Comment

Working...
                              X