1st time out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st time out

Just got back from my 1st offroad adventure at Cown off road centre.
    My stock Surf with street tyres had no problem getting round the green track. Did keep bottoming out on my tow bar, as i new i would.
    Saw some prety gruesome stuff and some awsome machines. No other Surfs however.
    Managed to get a puncture and had to get repair at quick-fit. My Surf dosent seem to have been sold to me with a jack, unless i was looking in the wrong place.
    I'm still holding out on judgement if this type of off roading is for me, might try greenlaning next.
    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

The jack and handle should be under the rear seats, the rest of the handle should be in the tool roll in one of the cubby boxes in the boot.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

found the handle under the seat and the bag-o-bits in the back. I'll have another look for the jack under the seat tomorrow.
      Thanx
      私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

should be under a little hatchy flappy thing on the passenger side, when you lift the seat base up.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Glad you had a good day and only suffered a puncture. (fog-lamp??) Tow-bars are a pain. I lifted mine after a bodylift and I remove the ball and drop-plate when going off-road. As for the off-roading, quarries are not the ideal place for non-modified vehicles to hang out on a regular basis unless you are handy at Toyota DIY. We are quite limited here in the UK to where we can off-road and with access to greenlanes decreasing we dont have a great choice. I`m not too sure about the quarry thing as a regular but I`ll be trying the site at the end of jan. Were there any other 1st timers?
          cheers for now,
          chris
          Powered by Toyota!

Comment

Hi Chris
            Didnt damage the fog light, tow ball made sure of that. Had a look at my towing tackle and the ball and drop plate are welded in place so i will remove the whole towing assembly. It looks to be only 4 bolts. Dont use it anyway and will be easy to refit if required. Didnt get a chance to talk to anyone so dont know if any first timers there, there were however a few Landys with stock tyres, so assumed they were new like me. I dont think i'll do quarry again till at least a new set of tyres. I was constanly thinking about damaging my truck so it was somewhat stressed. I think a lift with big tyres would eliviate that worry. I'm sure you'll have fun, I think its an aquired taste though.
            私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Personally, for me, laning is where its at. Fooling around at a centre is all well and good, and a bit of fun, but for me, the fun is actually in GOING somewhere, and not always knowing what you're going to find. Its about the views, the countryside and actually starting out somewhere and ending somewhere else.

I aspire to overland treks when cash allows. I noticed an ad in this months TOR for a trans-pyrenees trip, which I may do in 2009, then maybe some sort of African trip a year or two after.

Ultimately, I'd love to do a huge south american trip, but thats gotta be serious money, and will have to wait a while.

But like I say, for me, THAT is offroading
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

agreed,
                laning is the ultimate , ive just got back from a days laning with my pajero owning mate, and what a day. We found loads of new lanes, some streeams, and a very very deep ford.
                and the truck is muddy again,

Mr apache , what happened today , we waited for you but you didnt arrive
                you missed some great lanes today
                PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

Emailed your hotmail account when I got up this morning.

Hung one on last night, and was very worse for wear when I got up - probably still over the limit at lunchtime. Spent the day lying on the couch feeling sorry for myself and watching old Dr Who episodes.

Dont suppose you log the lanes on Memory Map or anything do you?

Will post your stickers tomorrow.

Comment

we mark the lanes down on the os map, i will try to get a photo copy of them for you to look at,
                    you ever been to white ladies in aston (worcester) , theres a big ford there and due to the bad weather it was quite high today(half way up my door) and interesting to drive through, but fun
                    PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

White Ladies... yeah, rings a bell, but the ford (if its the one I'm thinking of) was pretty low when I was last there. Maybe 12"-18" or so.

Will go and have another look - its not that far from me.

Hey, just a thought... the TRD sticker on your drawing is right over where a snorkel fits - if you were gonna fit one at any stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache

I noticed an ad in this months TOR for a trans-pyrenees trip, which I may do in 2009, then maybe some sort of African trip a year or two after.

Ultimately, I'd love to do a huge south american trip, but thats gotta be serious money, and will have to wait a while.
                        That sounds bl@@dy brilliant!

Jacqueline

Comment

Yea i think i'll try laning next. Going to go to my local GLASS meeting in Jan., they usually have a laning trip on the week after the meeting. I'll assume my stock Surf w/ road tyres will handle the terrain, after todays brilliant performance at the quarry.
                          私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Working...
                          X