weres captain Manering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MattF
    The last time I checked, I'm English and live in England, so the point being? What/where specifically, does Britain refer to Matt? Do you get the hump at the Irish saying they're from Ireland, or likewise with the Welsh or Scots? Should they all say they live in the United Kingdom?
    The point is, that people in government, civil service, media, business and people in general very often do say England when they should really say Britain. If I could be bothered it would not be hard to find printed examples.

An example would be one I read just in the last few days where a British ambassador somewhere was describing the embassy as being a bit of England in wherever it was and how within its walls people were leading normal English ways of life. If that had been just an English bloke in a foreign land that would be fine but it was a British ambassador of a British Embassy in a foreign country.

I think that was the other Matts point, and that sort of thing is very common. I think us colonials ( with all the chips on our shoulders) notice it wheras most Englanders genuinely dont

Bogus
    Сви можемо

Comment

• Originally posted by Bogus
      An example would be one I read just in the last few days where a British ambassador somewhere was describing the embassy as being a bit of England in wherever it was and how within its walls people were leading normal English ways of life. If that had been just an English bloke in a foreign land that would be fine but it was a British ambassador of a British Embassy in a foreign country.
      In that one I can see the annoyance.

Originally posted by Bogus
      I think us colonials ( with all the chips on our shoulders)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bogus
        The point is, that people in government, civil service, media, business and people in general very often do say England when they should really say Britain. If I could be bothered it would not be hard to find printed examples.

I think that was the other Matts point, and that sort of thing is very common. I think us colonials ( with all the chips on our shoulders) notice it wheras most Englanders genuinely dont

Bogus
        English winning the second world war
        England at the Olympics... etc... etc...

England being that place at the bottom of the M1, next to Kent
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

• Originally posted by da SLUG man
          English winning the second world war
          England at the Olympics... etc... etc...

England being that place at the bottom of the M1, next to Kent
          So what you meant then was not the English classing themselves as English, but more the people who class the achievements/accomplishments of people from several locations, (and possibly even nations), in one lump under England, rather than giving credit where credit is due?

Comment

Working...
          X