pc's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pc's

anyone good at building pc's? n if so whats the cheapest i can have one built or rebuilt for? mine on its way out im sure of it. also need new xp or vista on it?

I've built and repaired PC's for years mate and I've got to say I would now be struggling to match PC Worlds prices and I would not be able to supply a genuine copy of XP or Vista for the same price as they are charging!

Get yourself down there tomorrow while the sales are on but just don't let them talk you into getting any extra craap! I'm sure some people on here could provide you with a few extra 'things' should you need them.

PC World aren't half as bad as they used to be, just don't buy any 'overpriced' extras, that's where they make their money.

If you need any more advice just ask.

'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

wouldnt i be better to buy the bits to build one n would it work out cheaper, at min i need to get a new dvd player n a disc rewriter as both are dying i think cant write discs n dvd dont work

Comment

Have you added anything new to the system recently as it may have gone into conflict with your other hardware? If not try removing your DVD writing software (Nero?) and reinstalling it. If push comes to shove and both DVD player and writer units are on their way out you can normally buy both for around £40 - £50. Replacing them is a doddle, just remove the cable from the old ones remove a few screws and slide the new ones into place. You may have to set the jumpers on the new ones, to set them as 'master' or 'slave drives, but if you get stuck there are plenty folks on here who can point you in the right direction.

Would be glad to help if you get stuck.

'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Originally posted by Copycat
          Have you added anything new to the system recently as it may have gone into conflict with your other hardware? If not try removing your DVD writing software (Nero?) and reinstalling it. If push comes to shove and both DVD player and writer units are on their way out you can normally buy both for around £40 - £50. Replacing them is a doddle, just remove the cable from the old ones remove a few screws and slide the new ones into place. You may have to set the jumpers on the new ones, to set them as 'master' or 'slave drives, but if you get stuck there are plenty folks on here who can point you in the right direction.

Would be glad to help if you get stuck.

whats the jumpers? n are the cables all the same size

Comment

Originally posted by pirate-storm
            whats the jumpers? n are the cables all the same size
            bit like pull overs lol,turtle necks lolol

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2
              bit like pull overs lol,turtle necks lolol
              duh!!!!!!! i asked whats the jumpers not what is a jumper

Comment

duh!!!!!!! i asked whats the jumpers not what is a jumper
                admit it,u laughed lol

Comment

pm sent
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
                    pm sent
                    thanks m8 sent back

Comment

i replied

ps. this is a good way to get them post counts up
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
                        i replied

ps. this is a good way to get them post counts up
                        whats the difference between a external hard drive n a external network hard drive? or are they the same type of thing

Comment

whats the difference between a external hard drive n a external network hard drive? or are they the same type of thing

A standard external hard drive is usually connected direct to your PC via USB connection and is only available to that particular machine unless shared for network access.

An external network hard drive is connected via an RJ45 patch lead to a network router or hub and is available to any user on a network. Ideal for running back ups if you have a home network and more than one PC. Usually cost more as well.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewC
                            A standard external hard drive is usually connected direct to your PC via USB connection and is only available to that particular machine unless shared for network access.
                            so i could save what i wanted to the new external hard drive but still be able to use on a new machine if i wanted to save all my photos etc?

Comment

so i could save what i wanted to the new external hard drive but still be able to use on a new machine if i wanted to save all my photos etc?
                              Hi mate, you can save all your photo's on a dongle ( small USB plug in device about the same size as a AA battery) would cost less than £30, or you could use something like Picassa or photobucket or Flicker to save all your pics on line ( on another server) and that's free, you just have to join.

I do all of the above, and put them onto cd/dvd too, just in case.

With the sales on, you could probably get a whole new tower unit, including DVD writers etc for under £200, and just re-use you exsisting monitor and keyboard and mouse.
                              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
                              X