No announcement yet.

Obtaining Wheel Spacers????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The studs will be steel. I'd personally question the use of something as soft as aluminium in such a high stress application. The bending (stress experts put me right here) would be pretty high, and would tend to put a pulling then a pushing force on the spacer in line with the wheel stud every revolution of the wheel, the force being greater the larger the offset of the wheel, and greater on the spacer to wheel fixings on a bigger spacer.

I guess the quality ones as sold by roughtrax or supertrux will be made from a hard grade of ally, but I'd personally rather have steel if I was going for them, or simply a greater offset wheel. I mean, it's £120 after all! You can get a set of steel wheels for not much more.

I drew a pic cos I'm not being very clear!

Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
      The studs will be steel. I'd personally question the use of something as soft as aluminium in such a high stress application. The bending (stress experts put me right here) would be pretty high, and would tend to put a pulling then a pushing force on the spacer in line with the wheel stud every revolution of the wheel, the force being greater the larger the offset of the wheel, and greater on the spacer to wheel fixings on a bigger spacer.

I guess the quality ones as sold by roughtrax or supertrux will be made from a hard grade of ally, but I'd personally rather have steel if I was going for them, or simply a greater offset wheel. I mean, it's £120 after all! You can get a set of steel wheels for not much more.

what about vertical stress and leverage due to the xtra distance from the std fixing point
      Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Im impressed very technical. What i would like is cheapest safe way to gain 4" girth (on my truck)

She seems a little slim and i dont think ill be gettin 33' s for a while as mpg is important as its my daily runaround. So ill be ringin tony asap
        Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner
          Im impressed very technical. What i would like is cheapest safe way to gain 4" girth (on my truck)
          Have you got 15s on there mate? Really, go for a bigger offset, wider wheel in black steel. You'll easily get a set for £160 or so for 8" wide wheels, and you'll just about get a set of 33s on them when you're ready, being able to use your existing tyres until you're ready to change. If you wanna spend £50-£60 each of a set of wheels, you'll get 10" wide, and you'll get any tyre you can put on a Surf on them!

Plus you get to sell your original wheels for a few quid, and then you're back in the same money as a set of spacers! Makes more sense to me.

One less thing to break if you give it a caning in the rocky stuff
          Last edited by Apache; 26 December 2007, 23:53.

Comment

good advice mate cheers, drawing board time me thinks.
            Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper
              what about vertical stress and leverage due to the xtra distance from the std fixing point
              Vertical (shear, in this case?) would be the same wouldn't it? It'll have a higher rotational component, wouldn't it, but the vertical vector on the studs (when stationary) only depends on the weight of the truck.

(Frantically sketching on a bit of Christmas cracker...)

I now have a small lathe and can turn something up to 180mm diameter - gotta get me some steel

Comment

its yer newtonian forces innit !!

you are dead right in EVERYTHING there andy AND......adding the factor of some angular momentum in,and regarding the fact ,that the said momentum will have moments about it,AND the shearing force will be pulling on 3 studs to a degree and pushing on the other three with an equal force,by the time you add rotation (angular momentum)and spread the moments of force about,well unless it was a chop shop/bernie/leepu aircraft grade ally,deffo better off with steel

and you better hope your wheel bearings are in good nick as well !!!!
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

just been and measured my tyres. 30"" diameter but im running 16'' wheels 265/70/16. if you increase the diameter of your tyre doesnt that bring your revs down relative to your speed

Comment

John, yeah, there are swings and roundabouts.

Graham, wheel bearings will suffer with greater offset wheels too, not just spacers. I imagine steering the wheels puts massive forces on them due to precession. Mine are OK so far (touching wood) with 33x13.5 on +50mm offset wheels, but I expect them to go pop one of these days!

Comment

i cant spare any revs as mine strugles to get into top gear allready when towing as lock up comes in at 60mph, when towing that equals not high enough revs so off boost and not up to torque

want bigger rubber for clearance, would like a wider foot print/track, would like a lift,would like lockers you get the idea.

wheels and spacers are the first, not sure if spacers are the way to go, wider slightly taller and a bigger offset wheel would be better. open to advice

Comment

Wider wheels with more offset, for reasons outlined earlier, and probably on par with spacers price wise once you've flogged your own wheels.

What are standard 3rd gen wheels? Thought I'd read +8mm somewhere... A +50mm wheel will give you about 80mm wider track, or equivalent of a 42mm spacer. I aint sure what OEM 3rd gen wheels are though, but I'm sure someone here knows!

Comment

i while back i was looking for 17'' cruiser wheels for daily use, now i think maybe some wide 16''s and keep the std's for daily use.

think wide 16''s would be better than 15''s due to the greater tyre choice(l,,, r....run 16'') or do you think 15''s would be better?

Comment

i don't honestly think it makes much difference if you're staying to standardish size tyres, it's only really when you get to 33" and above there seems to be more about for 15" wheels, but if you look about you will find something that suits your needs in either 15" or 16"
                            =========
                            =SOLD UP!=
                            =========

Comment

What are standard 3rd gen wheels? Thought I'd read +8mm somewhere...
                              I think it's +15mm but there may be more than one offset.

A +50mm wheel will give you about 80mm wider track, or equivalent of a 42mm spacer.
                              Nope. An offset of +50mm will reduce the track by 35mm per side if offset is already +15mm.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                                I think it's +15mm but there may be more than one offset.

Nope. An offset of +50mm will reduce the track by 35mm per side if offset is already +15mm.

Nev
                                I think I'm getting my plusses and minuses mixed up. Well spotted Nev.

Too much Japanese whislky

Did you have a good Christmas? Would be too weird for me having the turkey on the barbie!

Comment

Working...
                                X